Cooling My System

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Hey, recently I've been noticing my E6400 C2D runs at around 54 idle and 60-68 load and I've been wanting to OC the cpu but with those temps I am very hesitant to do so. Also I'm saving up for an 8800gtx and I've heard they run way too hot on stock cooling. I was thinking about maybe the Ultra ChillTec but then I'm not sure what I should use for the 8800gtx. Then I was thinking maybe go water cooling but I'm still in that worried about leaks mode with liquid cooling, also is transporting a watercooled system to lan parties dangerous in any way? The CoolIt hybrid cooling system seems like a great cooler but again what would I use to cool the 8800gtx and If I go the watercooling route I figure It would be best to get a system that cools the gpu and cpu. I've had a thread a long time ago asking what kits or parts to use for liquid cooling but that was awhile ago and I'd like an update on what is hot and what is not for a liquid cooling system. 1 last question is Fluid Xp a good coolant? I saw it says it is nonconductive and noncorrosive which seems too good to be true. Sorry If something doesn't make sense, I'm starting to get another migraine this week >_<.

CPU- E6400
GPU- (8800gtx in a few months)
Ram- ORSAIR XMS2 2GB (4 x 512mb) DDR2 800
Mobo- Msi P965 Platinum
Psu- Thermaltake 600w
Case- Raidmax Smilodon

There are several different ways you can go about cooling your cpu, ranging from heat pipe coolers, which are the best in standard air cooling, to TEC cooling, or even water cooling. The Ultra ChillTec is a decent one, but not one I would bet my processor on when overclocking.

If you are already getting high temps like that on stock, I would recommend high-end air cooling such as the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, or other options such as the Vigor Monsoon II, the Coolit Freezone, or others as such. Any of these will give you good temps while overclocking.

As for the 8800GTX, it all depends on the brand and model of gpu you purchase. Some models, such as the KO versions from EVGA have good cooling.

Water cooling, is still a more extreme way to go. However, much progress has been made recently in water cooling safety. Although there is still the inherent risk of leakage, with decent quality components, that is not a major concern anymore.

There are now closed-loop water cooling options such as the Coolit Freezone that are basically maintenance-free and can be transported. However, units like this are not upgradeable or expandable to cool other components.

Standard water cooling systems are still not recommended for transport unless you drain them, but there are some people that claim to have the capability to transport their systems due to securing all components of the system.

As for parts, a good all-in-one kit to start with if you are looking for quality is the Swiftech Apex Ultra . If you are looking at parts....here are SOME of the current offerings that are hot in no particular order...(you can google any of these names for more info...)

Pumps-Swiftech MCP-355, MCP-655, and Danger Den D5 variant, Danger Den DDc-1, DDc-2, DDC-3, and Eheim pumps of all sorts,

Radiators-Black Ice Extreme are tops but there are several good ones out there. You want 240mm or larger radiators.

Reservoirs - Swiftech MCres Micro, 5 1/4 inch bay drive reservoirs from many manufacturers, T-lines are also a hot option, also.

Cpu block - Swiftech Apogee GT, Apogee GTX, D-Tek Fuzion, Danger Den TDX, and a few others

GPU blocks - Swiftech MCW-60, Danger Den Maze 4, Maze 5, Danger Den and EK full coverage waterblocks (It all depends on your particular GPU...)

Hose - 3/8 inch and 1/2 inch are most commonly recommended sizes. Hose quality varies a lot, so you want to be careful when choosing.

Fluid XP receives a wide variety of comments even today. Personally, I do not recommend Fluid XP due to the fact that it seems to leave a waxy build-up in hoses and on the surfaces inside the loop. I use Pentosin G11 with distilled water.

Ok...now I have written a novel....hope that helps...

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
thanks that helps a lot, I was thinking about getting a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme but if the Coolit Freezone is safe to transport I might as well go with that since I'm guessing the cooling capacity is better. Also I've just heard about this new 3ghz intel processor coming out for like around $270. That would be nice since I'd have a bigger cache and wouldn't have to overclock, but I'm going to guess it runs a little hotter so I will still buy one of these coolers unless you guys say otherwise. As for the KO version of the evga card, personally I always buy EVGA but I only see KO versions for gts's.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I've been reading reviews on the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, and the coolit freezone/eliminator. The freezone adds a pretty good thermal difference but somehow all the reviews show the Thermalright doing just as good or better than coolit products. How is this possible? Which would you guys reccomend? Thermalright or Coolit product. and if coolit then freezone or eliminator.

The Thermalright does appear to be a better solution due to the fact that it is far cheaper and seems to perform somewhat better.

However, these are 2 totally different reviews using two totally different computers and totally different testing environments. I would take this information with a grain of salt. I have a multiple Thermalright Ultra 120 Extremes on different computers, and I can't get an overclock with the low temps as they did in the review at Anandtech...

As far as the Coolit solutions, the Freezone is the more capable of the two, but has a higher price tag.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

I've read many many many reviews of both the Coolit and Thermalright's. I am just in awe how such a cheap device can be so effective, only problem I have is seeing if it will fit in my case since it is so tall, if not I might as well go with an eliminator or freezone which I'm pretty sure will fit

The advantage of fitting well does go to the Freezone and Eliminator.

I am familiar with the Raidmax Smilodon case. If you remove the upper side panel fan from the side panel, it should be able to fit the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. It would be a very tight fit though. I highly recommend that you try researching more into this before you jump into your choice of cooler. You could possible even email Raidmax and ask them if it will.