Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
SPECS: AM2 X2 4000+
2GB Corsair RAM
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640MB RAM
Hiper 580 watt PSU
Lian-Li Case

DESCRIPTION: I play LOTRO a lot and I wanted more performance out of the game so I upgraded from a 7600GT to a GeForce 8800 GTS with 640MB of RAM. Now (I think) it is overheating constantly. In a group with a lot of action going on, I blue screen for a split second and then restart. If I lower the graphics and/or resoultion sometimes it stops and sometimes it just takes a little longer before crashing. I recently installed RivaTuner to check temps and today it is about 25C in here and humid. The temps I got were ambient: 57C and core: 79C. No crash, most likely because I wasn't in a group and was just running around, did some swimming too because I crashed once by doing that. I run the game @1680x1050 with Very High graphics and 2X AA. I have the latest XP Nvidia drivers installed. Am I right about it being a heat problem? If so, what can I do? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have my 120mm side fan as an exhaust. Should this be an intake instead since it is right near the GPU?

It is running a lil warm, but Ive seen others here with higher temps/no problems. Sounds like you may have another issue. Have you checked nVidias site for game issues? Are there patches for this game you havnt downloaded? Do you play other games, and does it happen in them? Also, what drivers are you using and are the old ones completely cleaned out from your rig? Also, keep a temp monitor on while gaming, when you go into bluescreen, see if you can get temps asap

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
It was only with LOTRO but that's not saying much considering its the only game I play right now that actually pushes my card. It crashed again on me so I spent a long time last night searching forums and trying to find out what's up. I think I found the answer. I guess the 158 driver for the 8800s in XP was faulty for this game so someone said I should be using the latest beta driver. I uninstalled the 158 and installed the beta and so far, no problem. I also changed my side fan from an exhaust to an intake after some research and wow did that make a difference. It dropped my temps under load from 5C to 10C depending on the action going on in the game. /crossfingers Hopefully the problem is gone for good.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
8800s get really hot i have heard of one that even got to 125c. I think ur right and its a driver problem. I did the same thing and made my lianli case side fan as a intake which helped with my 8800 alot. Also you may want to try and take the gpu fan shell off and place a double fan slot cooler there instead it worked wonders for me. I now have max temps of about 62c running oblivion for hours. Also i got a really high speed exit fan for the back of my case, about 4500 rpm. Try some of these things out if you have anymore heat probs because i sure did.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
woord just chilllll...8800s just get hot. This sucks cause while they still run well they make the entire case HOT...well the key(i feel) is the exit fan and in take fansss. Cool air needs to come in and hot air needs to go outtttt. This all needs to happpen fast. Stangnet(sp) air is the worst thing for a comp. The ideal case for the 8800 gpu is a wind tunnel. If the conditions are not ideal they willllllll CRASH. IT may even give u the blue screen of death.

mrmez

Splendid
Id find it a little hard to believe its heat OR psu with those numbers.
PSU is 580w... im running 650w, using water with a big OC and i consider my psu to have a fair reserve, so your 580 should be fine... if u have one, try a different power plug to the gfx card.

Heat... the gts has its own exhaust, and if you have another case exhaust try reverse the side so its an intake... still, that heat shouldnt be an issue.

Otherwise... do the usuals, uninstall/reinstall drivers, and the game too. Underclock the gpu, and turn off game gfx settings only one at a time. May be a glitch with AA/HDR or something else.

Can also try a gfx stress test app and see if it crashes at a certain temp.

good luck

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Get RivaTuner and crank up your fan speed on your 8800 and see if it helps. My 8800GTX runs cooler than that at 621Mhz on the core and 2000Mhz on the memory. I idle around 51 to 53c and load around 66 to 69c

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
When you upgraded the card did you completely remove the old drivers ? often unistalling them from control panel isnt enough.

I really think this is a driver issue Id unistall any and all video drivers then run a program like drive cleaner pro to make sure thier gone then reinstall the drivers for your current card.

Sounds a bit funny I know but I have personally used this method succesfully for a similar problem (6600GT to 7600GT)

Only take 5 mins any how good luck.

dewdropper

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Hi, I've been having the same problem with the same card, only with graphics heavy games, usually for fairly long periods of time. Just ordered what I hope to solve the problem, the Antec Super Cyclone Blower (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77194) sure there are loads more, but this was only £10. I takes up to pci slots worth of space, but I've heard it does the job really well. I let you know if i have improvement when it comes.

Cheers

dewdropper

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Oh and about the driver problem, I installed mine on a completely fresh system with the latest driver being the only ever install and I still face the same problem, unless there is some sort of cross-incompatability between several components.

Powersoffon

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I run an almost 3 year old Dell XPS 720 H2C with Q6850 Vista Ultimate
It has dual GeForce 8800 GT cards
GPU1 Temp idles about 61c
GPU2 Temp is about 63c (it’s above the other card so possible heat from 1st for couple c

From day one with this computer I have had it crash as I play an online game. Anarchy Online. The game is older and it’s not at all tasking the GPU's yet in higher resolution it will cause the cards to instant power off/on my computer.

I have updated the computers BIOS
I have put in a exhaust fan to help move the heat out of the case in the back.

The only time I get a instant power off/on is while playing this game.
Other programs or IE all are fine for hours on hours of use. Video or other activity is also fine.

Still to this day I have not been able to track down the real problem to fix this. And since it has been so much time I also took off the shield and blow out the dust bunny collection. In doing that I was shocked how well packed these cards can become with dust.

Problem still is haunting me!

You should open up a new thread on your topic instead of waking up an old thread.

GhostHunterGDL

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I run 2 geforce 8800 GTS in SLI, Asus p5n32-e sli motherboard, 4gb ram, 850w power supply, 3 120mm fans, 2 80mm fans and zalman on q6600. All in sunbeamtech case. Never had any problems with overheating.
GhostHunterGDL

Status
Not open for further replies.