Sign in with
Your question

console to video card/pc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2007 9:48:09 PM

Firstly i can't believe that this hasn't been asked loads of times before, but i can't find any topics on it (that could be because i'm new to the forum or just stupid, or a mix of both...)

anyway, i have a 7600gt, which has an s-video i believe. i also have a component cable to s-video converter. then i have my gamecube and Wii attached to a tv. the tv suchs and takes up lots of room, but i want to play them on one of my two 19" monitors.

how do i do this. I've tried nvidia's site but since they just make the tech, not the card they won't help, and xfx were just annoying. I've downloaded a load of support material but nothing mentions video sources/external sources... hows it done.

from reading through nvidia's FAO's i guess you can do it through DUALTV, but since they've been discontinued thats not an option.

i can't believe its so difficult and hasn't been asked millions of times on every suport forum ever (needs a nice over the top dramatic voice to go with that sentence).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr PieChee

More about : console video card

July 11, 2007 10:23:59 PM

I have a 7900gs with an svideo out. I am pretty sure that thats all it is, not an input. If you were really desperate to play on your monitor i guess you could get pci card with either composite or coaxial inputs if you got one of those it might work. I have not done this so don't spend money on it until you get a second opinion.
July 11, 2007 10:49:05 PM

It would be better if u mentioned your graphics card vendor(manufacturer)!!

I've checked some of graphics board manufacturer website but none of them has Video Input! (e.g. ASUS 1800XT has a Video-In but 7600 GT doesn't)

You can directly use a COMPOSITE to DVI converter or first a composite to s-video and then an S-video to DVI converter for connecting your console to your monitor.

willing to help
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 171 U Graphics card
July 11, 2007 11:16:03 PM

Right. You need a video input, not an output to hook your consoles up to your monitor. AMDs Radeon line will do this, as many of the x1K series have VIVO. I've heard of people using this to hookup their Xbox360 to their monitors, but there is a problem. Due to the card, there is a 1sec lag between the input and the display. Strategy games are ok, but FPS are unplayable. I don't know if anyone has found a way around this.
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2007 11:34:03 PM

4745454b said:
I've heard of people using this to hookup their Xbox360 to their monitors, but there is a problem. Due to the card, there is a 1sec lag between the input and the display. Strategy games are ok, but FPS are unplayable. I don't know if anyone has found a way around this.

Yep, that's the biggest reason it doesn't work, and there's really no good way around it. While the delay has improved from 2-3 to just about a second it's still there and it's still going to be a problem. Think about pausing for a second every time you see a bad guy in and fps would you last long? Also it's like playing drunk since your body doesn't move fast enough and you bump into stuff, driving/flying vehicles in close quarters is pretty much impossible. The main issue is the number of stages a VIVO card goes through to capture the video send it to the CPU, and then send it back out again through the card. There will always be delay as long as that many stages are involved. They have gotten better, but it's not a major concern that nayone will dedicate time to fix right now since a 2 second delay (heck even 5-10 sec) in a show or a video capture doesn't matter, as long as everything is in-synch.
July 12, 2007 1:22:36 AM

I played super smash brothers malaa through my AIW, with very little delay, (less then a second), and I played rachet and clank through my x1950xt, and that was more like a second delay (not very playable), but it also played with less then a seconds delay the AIW. Through an ATI AIW most game are very playable.
July 15, 2007 10:49:17 AM

well i think that's the answer then. i was originally looking at an external box for digital with them in, but there not easy to get hold of and the reasonable ones are pricey. my plan was to be able to watch tv/play on console without having my computer on, but i was just trying to find a quick fix for the mo. i have a second input for both my screens so i could get a converter for them, but both the second inputs are vga, and i haven't seen vga to component video.

thanks for your help
October 30, 2007 8:22:54 PM

Slippers said:
I have a 7900gs with an svideo out. I am pretty sure that thats all it is, not an input. If you were really desperate to play on your monitor i guess you could get pci card with either composite or coaxial inputs if you got one of those it might work. I have not done this so don't spend money on it until you get a second opinion.

I have the MSI NX6600GT VTD128. It has listed in the manual, on the box, and on an included cable, S-Video In. Yet I still can't get it to be recognized as having video coming in.
!