DVD Reader and DVD Writer vs Two DVD Writers

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I'm looking at parts for a new system. As for CD\DVD drives, when looking at getting one reader and one writer, versus getting two writers, the price difference is only about $12: Readers are going for about $20 and writers for about $32. So, I've been thinking of getting two writers, it would be nice to just use the fastest/quietest writer for the actual writing, plus, I'd have a backup for when one inevitably burns out.

Is there any real advantage, other than saving about $12, to go with one reader and one writer vs two writers? One issue that caught my eye is a comment I saw that said writers tend to take 7 to 10 seconds to read a newly inserted CD\DVD. Is this true, and is this something that does not happen with reader-only models?

Thanks

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
lol - Yeah - The burning out issue is a given. I've had CD writers last 3 years at the most, it wouldn't surprise me if DVD writers (particularly with prices so low) burn out a lot faster.

I'm still hoping to get some more feedback on this issue: "...a comment I saw that said DVD writers tend to take 7 to 10 seconds to read a newly inserted CD\DVD. Is this true, and is this something that does not happen with reader-only models? "

Thanks