Sign in with
Your question

How do I update disk firmware?

Last response: in Storage
July 26, 2007 5:57:02 PM

Hi

I have four Western Digital WD5000ys disks in a RAID 10 configuration using the Intel ICH8’s Serial ATA controller on the Intel DG965WH motherboard.

Occasionally a disk will drop out the RAID set and reappear on rebooting. There is a disk firmware update from WD that appears to fix this.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=15...

To apply this the instructions state:

Quote:
Important: Please ensure that any important data is backed up from the hard drive and that the drive is removed from the RAID array (the array is offline) before updating the firmware.

I have two questions on the instructions:

1) How do I take a disk out of the RAID arrray as required?

2) Will I have to do this disk at a time reboot, let the RAID resync then do the next disk or can I do all four disks in one go?

Many thanks

More about : update disk firmware

July 26, 2007 6:50:32 PM

thanks!
i'm going to have to address the same questions when i get home, i've got 6 of those in a raid 5 array. about 3 times in the past 6 months one has dropped out, i'll see about applying this update.

it may be very annoying however, looks like basically you take the drive out of the array, connect it to the motherboard, reboot and apply the update, then i'll have to put it back, make sure the array is rebuilt or re-scanned, and do it to the NEXT drive, which will be a pain in the arse...

Valis
!