Help, network crashed? :(

Scynte

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Ok, yesterday I got my partner a new laptop. And last night when we tried to set it up onto the wireless network it kept coming up with. *Disable your firewall and reset your router*

Anyways, we did this and after that I couldn't connect my desktop (lan to the router) and my other laptop got dropped from the wireless network as well. After about an hour or 2 of turning firewalls on n off, resetting the modem and router and a lot of choice 4 letter words no computer will connect to the wireless network. (the desktop still connect only if plugged straight into the modem)

I have a dlink router. Any idea if we accidently tripped something we shouldn've?

Also, my partner hit the *Reset Router* button in the internet ip for the router and it keep's bringing up it needs to be re-configured. Any idea's what to do!

(Sorry it's all over the place... :whistle: )

G

If you press the reset button on a router it goes to the factory defaults which may not include the settings you require -- including the security passphrase you may have already applied to the router and your computers' wireless adapter.

Suggest you start by turning off firewall in computer and connecting to the router via ethernet cable and get into the router's user interface (see router manual for how).

Once in disable all wireless security measures temporarily (including Access List).

You don't say if you are on Cable or ADSL service but see if your ISP has help files on its home site have a look at WAN settings in router and see
if settings match your ISP's requirements. You may have to ring a help line otherwise.

Once everything is working apply wireless security in router (and then in computers) and re-enable your computers' firewalls,