Closed Solved

Can't uninstall Firefox

I ran into some kind of malware in the form of an extension that I was unable to remove. I decided to uninstall firefox and reinstall it, but something froze up about 1/4 of the way through. I had to force it closed and reboot my computer. Now I'm unable to restart the uninstallation, but :C/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox is still full of files. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Should I manually delete the Mozilla folder in C? Or should I ignore it and just reinstall it from scratch. Which is less likely to make the problem worse? I think I should delete everything because there was probably some malware in there, but I don't want to delete something important.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about uninstall firefox
  1. Is the computer clean of the malware?
  2. Best answer
  3. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Is the computer clean of the malware?

I ran a quick MSE scan and it found nothing, I then downloaded and ran MalwareBytes and ran it in a quick scan, it did find an infected file which I removed.

I'm now running a full MSE scan, and it will take a few more hours to finish. I just want to know what I should do with Firefox in the meantime. I have the bookmarks saved, so that's good, I just want to know the most efficient way to wipe it clean from my computer so I can reinstall it somehow. Is it safe to delete the folder in C?
  4. You can most likely delete the firefox folder, then run ccleaner to clean up any registry entries associated with it.
  5. Best answer selected by PTNLemay.
  6. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Applications Malware Firefox Apps