Sign in with
Your question

Need information about my plans for new PC, Help appreciated

Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2007 9:02:28 PM

Okay here's the deal,

My dad want's to upgrade from his old Pentium 4 2.4ghz Geforce 6800GT 1gig ram to the new generation cpu's gpu's motherboards etc.
I've been looking around allot, but all that info get's me so much frustrating. I've been watching benchmarks A LOT. But I just had a few questions and hope you guys/girls could help me out here.

Okay,
I've been watching the CPU's and people tell me to move, quad, my dad's wants it for office use and gaming. The rig should cost about 2500 euros which is something like $3000 usd. I really don't have a clue what motherboard to pick and It's got to be future proof, last 3-5 years. He let me do the research as he's a busy man. So I browsed around. Checking the gpu's and cpu's.

I've heard the new penryn cores come out soon (I have time till december or so) So I was thinking about a E6850 which looks brutually amazing to me. but then again, you will need a 1333fsb motherboard. Also, I'm doubting very bad between DDR3 and DDR2, I've seen the DDR2 benchmarks beat the DDR3,

but I don't wanna get stuck in a year seeing that DDR3 has the upper hand and takes over the DDR2 completely and end up with an old rig in one year. Also I've seen the single 8800GTX killing the ATi HD 2900 XT. I plan not to use SLI, SLI would be handy, but seeing my dad won't be needing two cards, and upgrade later to new rig anyway. Also I've heard the G90 coming out or atleast the 8900 series. My dad has patience and so do I. (More nvidia fan than ATi, I like XFX as brand, excellent cards and good prices)

I would like to know some info about what motherboard to choose with the newer processors coming out E6850 I think I'm sure to choose that processor, and OVERCLOCK it later after one year or so. For benefit in games.

Please post helpfull links and pictures of motherboards, DDR2 ram, DDR3 ram etc.

And if you have any recommendations or question's feel free to ask, I will check this topic daily.

Kind Regards,
Kevin. C.

PS. The OCZ power supplies looks good for the GTX (780 watt power supply for the system) and having those fancy looking led's. It's going to be a nice computer after all ;) , also I don't know what case to look for, Thermaltake is pretty good, I have my mouth drooling on the BACH VX series, but I don't know if a Tunic Tower will fit in, I do not plan to go watercooled. I like my pc making a blowing sound ;)  not to loud offcourse. Please feel free to show me any cases, good for the mobo and the system. (Greatly Aprreciated)
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2007 10:51:24 PM

radium69 said:
It's got to be future proof, last 3-5 years.
Right now €2500 will get you about USD 3400. Is there an online store you prefer to shop from? It does very little good to show/recommend stuff if you can't get your hands on it.

Really, the only way to "future proof" a new system for 5 years is to plan a "mid-life" upgrade of CPU/Video.
For that I'd suggest spending €1800 now and banking €700 for upgrading the CPU/GPU in 3 years.
--> Can you make up your mind about the 3 (€2500 now) or 5 (€1800 / €700) year replacement cycle?

The E6850 does not require a 1333FSB (P35) motherboard - it can run just fine in a 1066FSB motherboard. A 25% overclock of a P965 or n650/680 motherboard will have the FSB running @ 1333.

Do you need the €2500 budget to cover the monitor?
What video display resolution will you be running? 1920x1200 (24" widescreen) or 1680x1050 (22" widescreen)? That will determine if you need a 8800GTX or if a 8800GTS will meet your needs.
July 12, 2007 11:14:56 AM

I don't have any shop preferences, although I do have a credit card and could order the videocard and build it myself, with some help offcourse. Newegg is pretty good, I've did some research on that. Ebay is kinda expensive compared to Newegg, simple because in Europe hardware is a lot more expensive. But in both cases it shouldn't be a problem :) 

I think spending 2500 would be okay for the 3 years, after 3 years you could always upgrade the pc, with cheap motherboard new processor etc. The 5 years is long, and seeing as my dad doesn't give a lot about it running GTX and expensive processors. He say's I have to look for a system with a GTX , and a good motherboard. I do not plan to overclock instantly, about a year after, or when the warranty is gone. ;) 

But will the P35 motherboards be more future proof and still good for gaming. I do not require the best of the best. I've have my eyes focused on a ASUS STRIKER EXTREME , seems a very good motherboard with all my needs and very nice configuration.

I'm just a bit worried about the new DDR 3 and DDR2 being left behind.
Also I think I would spend the €2500 WITH the monitor it will probaly be a 21" Iyama Widescreen (got that recommended from computer store) but I don't know if there are any other good monitors around. I'm currently a CRT screen player. And I think my dad's planning to play on minimum of 1600x1200 Res and higher. And some extra power is always handy for the future.

Kind Regards,
Kevin.

Related resources
July 12, 2007 12:40:09 PM

DDR2 will be fine for at least 2 years I should think. you can still buy DDR1 remember.

As you said, it will take a while for DDR3 to get ahead of DDR2. If I were you, I would be a good P35 board and a quad core core 2 duo. also an 8800 GTX.

get a decent case and psu, and decent mouse, keyboard and screen - you interact with these things most of the time, may as well make them good.
July 12, 2007 1:07:46 PM

Definatly get a P35 board, or if you are waiting a while for this build, see what the X38 boards look like when they come out. As for the processor, from what you said the machine will be used for, I would probably go with a fast dual core now and plan on going with the next gen Quads in a couple of years. They will probably be faster and there will be more games that support them. But that is just my opinon.
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2007 5:45:51 PM

radium69 said:
Also I think I would spend the €2500 WITH the monitor it will probaly be a 21" Iyama Widescreen (got that recommended from computer store) but I don't know if there are any other good monitors around. I'm currently a CRT screen player. And I think my dad's planning to play on minimum of 1600x1200 Res and higher. And some extra power is always handy for the future.
I was confused at first when I saw WideScreen AND 1600x1200. Looking at the 21" Iiyama models I saw the 21.3" Prolite series is 1600x1200 resolution. And I also saw the price! With a not-for-gaming refresh rate of 20ms! And a budget busting price of £884 or about €1300.
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3T9Z&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,50677
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3THW&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,50677

You'd be a LOT better off looking at the 22" Iiyama E2200WS model 1680x1050 with gaming friendly 5ms response time. Also the price is more inline with your budget. £206 or €304. http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4D1N&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,50677
An even better choice IMO would be the BenQ FP222WH £234/€344 http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4GYB&CategorySelectedId=11109&NavigationKey=11109,50467

ASUS Striker Extreme is a high quality motherboard but its also a 680 DDR2 board. It will hit FSB 1333 with a 1333CPU.
The EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR 680i SLI will have the same FSB 1333 performance at about half the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%20107171927&bop=And&CompareItemList=N82E16813131074%2CN82E16813188013%2CN82E16813188019

I think you could benefit from looking over the High-End Buyers' Guide: May 2007 article @ AnandTech website.
http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2998&p=1
Keep in mind that some prices will have changes and the P35 motherboard are out now with the X38 boards due about the same time the 6850/6750 CPUs roll out.

With your large budget and ability to wait for the 6850/6750 CPUs you'll do well to wait and see what reviews the new X38 motherboards get when released in the near future - they would be the nearest equivelent to a next-gen Striker Extreme. Right now I'd have to say that a P35 motherboard is where you should be looking seriously. http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/21/intel_intros_3-series_chipsets_with_fsb1333_and_ddr3/index.html
July 12, 2007 7:33:35 PM

ok thanks for the good facts and info. :) 
So you say I have to look for a p35 motherboard, or the X38 ? I have time till january next your or something like it (round december). Some P35 boards have ddr 2 + ddr 3? apart slots, I think it's wise to take a 4 slot ddr3 board. It's more future proof. Also you noted that the x38 boards will come out at around the same time of the E6x50 processors. So I'll guess I have to wait till then.

About the screen's the benQ one really looks awesome to me. Ill keep that in my favorites. Also, is it really wise to switch my Compaq Trinitron p700 CRT to an other screen?. If so, please put a good gamers monitor here. Offcourse for a good budget :) 
Thanks,
Kevin
July 13, 2007 5:08:07 AM

But for future proofing the 4@ddr2 + 2@ddr3 will do nicely. These are BIOS controlled... shouldn't be too hard to turn off/on. I'd wait for the price drop in 10 days and go with a Q6600 using o/c and raising the FSB to 4x333. THere is one problem 3-5 years out, and thats the Nehalem 32nm architecture (12-18 months) will not be compatible with what you build, so the CPU & MoBo have to get tossed should you decide on better functionality along the way. Nehalem is rumored to be a true 4 discreet core MPU.

See if theres a Benq or Samsung 24" 1920x1200 LCD on your side of the pond. Choose only the models with 178 by 178 degree viewing angle. In US$ these run 650 (E500), but you also have the dreaded VAT. But if you shop carefully, there is an ACER2416WD (NOT WB!) for about US$500 (E350). Its rather scarce on this side of the pond, and it IS a European market build.

f61
July 13, 2007 12:13:33 PM

I have time till december ;) 
Thanks for the info anyway I'll look into it.
People say that the quad core isn't needed yet, And I had my choice on the E6850. Will the Quad Core beat this processor? Most games don't use 4 cores and most of them use 1 core. hm?
July 14, 2007 2:01:11 PM

radium69 said:
ok thanks for the good facts and info. :) 
So you say I have to look for a p35 motherboard, or the X38 ? I have time till january next your or something like it (round december). Some P35 boards have ddr 2 + ddr 3? apart slots, I think it's wise to take a 4 slot ddr3 board. It's more future proof. Also you noted that the x38 boards will come out at around the same time of the E6x50 processors. So I'll guess I have to wait till then.

About the screen's the benQ one really looks awesome to me. Ill keep that in my favorites. Also, is it really wise to switch my Compaq Trinitron p700 CRT to an other screen?. If so, please put a good gamers monitor here. Offcourse for a good budget :) 
Thanks,
Kevin

depends if you want 5:4 or widescreen, if you want 5:4 for gaming, you cant go far wrong with one of these!
one of the best gaming monitors around!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 14, 2007 2:35:49 PM

radium69 said:
Okay here's the deal,

My dad want's to upgrade from his old Pentium 4 2.4ghz Geforce 6800GT 1gig ram to the new generation cpu's gpu's motherboards etc.
I've been looking around allot, but all that info get's me so much frustrating. I've been watching benchmarks A LOT. But I just had a few questions and hope you guys/girls could help me out here.

Okay,
I've been watching the CPU's and people tell me to move, quad, my dad's wants it for office use and gaming. The rig should cost about 2500 euros which is something like $3000 usd. I really don't have a clue what motherboard to pick and It's got to be future proof, last 3-5 years. He let me do the research as he's a busy man. So I browsed around. Checking the gpu's and cpu's.

I've heard the new penryn cores come out soon (I have time till december or so) So I was thinking about a E6850 which looks brutually amazing to me. but then again, you will need a 1333fsb motherboard. Also, I'm doubting very bad between DDR3 and DDR2, I've seen the DDR2 benchmarks beat the DDR3,

but I don't wanna get stuck in a year seeing that DDR3 has the upper hand and takes over the DDR2 completely and end up with an old rig in one year. Also I've seen the single 8800GTX killing the ATi HD 2900 XT. I plan not to use SLI, SLI would be handy, but seeing my dad won't be needing two cards, and upgrade later to new rig anyway. Also I've heard the G90 coming out or atleast the 8900 series. My dad has patience and so do I. (More nvidia fan than ATi, I like XFX as brand, excellent cards and good prices)

I would like to know some info about what motherboard to choose with the newer processors coming out E6850 I think I'm sure to choose that processor, and OVERCLOCK it later after one year or so. For benefit in games.

Please post helpfull links and pictures of motherboards, DDR2 ram, DDR3 ram etc.

And if you have any recommendations or question's feel free to ask, I will check this topic daily.

Kind Regards,
Kevin. C.

PS. The OCZ power supplies looks good for the GTX (780 watt power supply for the system) and having those fancy looking led's. It's going to be a nice computer after all ;) , also I don't know what case to look for, Thermaltake is pretty good, I have my mouth drooling on the BACH VX series, but I don't know if a Tunic Tower will fit in, I do not plan to go watercooled. I like my pc making a blowing sound ;)  not to loud offcourse. Please feel free to show me any cases, good for the mobo and the system. (Greatly Aprreciated)

dude uhm.... can you give me your Geforce 6800GT because mine is old, it's a FX 5500 PCI with 128 of memory and the GPU is so slow, i will play for shipping and handling :D  :ange: 
July 14, 2007 11:55:36 PM

the pc will probaly go to my dads office ;)  it's a very well videocard ;)  but i don't think ill give it away now ;)  ill keep in contact, im using a 6600GT now, still pwns the shizzle! playing HL2 on 1280x1024 and my geforce 6600GT with anti aliasing 4x still looks very very very impressive for such a cheap card :| Ill keep ya up 2 date hehe ;)  checking this forum daily :)  , can you still find the 6800GT nowadays, it's just like gone since pci-Express came , it was like bye bye agp, while it's a pretty darn fast card.
July 14, 2007 11:59:38 PM

@ wr2 yeah, ive seen it, ive spent hours on looking for info, and couldnt get enough! Awesome guys, just what I needed after a hard day of partying :D 

@goodie
holy shiz nice going!, the fatality one simpy pwns :)  omg it's droolicious ;) 

cheers
Kevin
July 16, 2007 8:29:19 PM

Im still doubting on a good screen, can somebody please put a good gamers screen here, with a good price, or just show me a good priced gamers screen, don't know if I should go to TFT screen. Cause that would be a waste of my GTX. a TFT that goes to 1600x1200 :)  or higher 2048x(something^^) thanks :)  Im getting frustrated with LCD TFT , and all those words, what is good for gaming, and what is good for price, please post a link. :)  thnx,
Kevin
!