Stock processor cooling issue

tankbusta

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
ok i have my sorta ancient pc and i am looking to make it realy uber fast without spending alot on it
well thats what overclocking aims to do

so anyways

no heres setup
i have a p4 3.4Ghz Ht processor
D915GAV INTEL MOTHERBOARD
1gig of kingston ram (standard)
2 80gb S/ata drives
well if you need to know a 6600gt from MSI (nvidia)
-stock colling
900W Power supply

i just got a new full ATX casing but then i noticed after i got it the placement for a water cooling addon is bad and it would not be a good option so since i had the room now to add stuff and hopefull get a nice pc going i went for air cooling
my aunt is bringing me the THERMALTAKE BIG TYPHOON so this will be my first after market cooler

so heres the problem
i need to know
1: which INTEL board can overclock
2: since i have a standard D915 board (which cant O/C) if i put the new cooler on my processor will it make any performance improvements ??....since my 3.4 is stock and is not overclocked

lastly:.....ok now i have a 3.4 p4 if i would sell this and buy a Dual Core and O/C it up to about 3.0 or say a core2duo upto 3.0 would they be better and faster than the p4 at 3.4 (yeah the duo but will the
dual core [pentium D] be able to beat it ???

thanks !!!

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
A cooler will now improve the performance of your processor without overclocking. There would be absolutely no point in getting a Pentium D processor at this point, best bet is to get a Core 2. If you feel you want to get both a motherboard and processor i would go with a E4400 and a Gigabyte P965 S3. Both will be able to handle your overclock, especially with the Big Typhoon you should be able to reach speeds of 3.0Ghz which is say 5 times better than your 3.4Ghz P4.

tankbusta

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
ok so icy18 for now if i use the BT on my current processor i can get better performance rite ???

ok thanks

and i willl look into that

also i was hoping to go for the E4400 after i read about it on newegg
well what is with these P35 And G35 boards ???
also funny thing is before i read your post about the GIGABYTE BOARD i went to newegg and clicked on popular boards for intel and that was the first one that poped up :p

anyways i like that board might be getting it soon but for now only the cooler

so again whats the low-down on the p35 and the g35 boards ??

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Ok, i'm sorry i had a typo, i meant to say that a a cooler will NOT improve the performance of your processor without overclocking.

A g33 board comes with onboard graphics and typically the chipset does not include more of the enthusiast capabilites of the p35. The p35 is intel's newest chipset that has updated capabilites to that of the p965. It has the ability to support DDR3, but at this point that's useless. It's main sell is that it supports intel's new 45nm processors coming out at the end of 2007. While its unknown if the p965 will support them rumors are is that it should be capable but no one knows for sure.

If your on a very tight budget i would get the E4300 and the Gigabyte P965 DS3, if you feel you have a few more bucks for a P35-DS3R i woud get that. This setup combined with the cooler you got would allow you to overclock to 3.0Ghz, this setup would absolutely blow away the current system you have now for its speed.