ichabod

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Hi

Having been away for 6 months I came home and turned on my PC only to hear a 'fut' type noise and have it instantly die. After some experimentation with spare parts I determined that it was the PSU as replacing thjis with a spare seemed to get the thing working again.

However, I would like to try and rescue the blown PSU. I opened it up to inspect and could find no blown capacitors or other burnt out components. The PSU is an Antec True 380SP. Does anyone have any other ideas of what could have gone wrong. I cant seem to find an obvious fuse or circuit breaker.. is there one in a normal PSU?

Any help much apreciated!

Cheers
Dan

Unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't bother. Even if you did know it would be best to toss it out anyway.

Don't tinker with the PSU, it is the most dangerous component in a PC. Seriously. The capacitors carry enough amps to kill you several times over if you are not careful. It's also the one component that is capable of destroying every single component in your PC when it fails.

Are you willing to potentially risk the expense of replacing your entire PC in the remote chance of even a professionally refurbished PSU catastrophically failing just to save a few bucks today?

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Also, once they have a few years on them, it can become a game of finding the bad connection as the solder points start failing due to heat cycles.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
get a new psu, you will hurt yourself if you try and fix a psu, i lost use of my right arm for 2 weeks after co*king up a job on a psu, and that "fut" noise you hear, thats the caps in the psu shorting and the psu cutting it out because of the rail overcurrent protection.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
You really shouldn't bother repairing the PSU. As the others said it IS dangerous, and what do you think happens when it catches fire and someone figures out you tinkered with it?