Holy bejesus it's hot!

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
And due to the obscene heat, I'm going to get m'self some new case fans. I've been reading for days about fans, and I simply can't come to a conclusion about which one to get to replace my stock case fans. I have an 80mm intake and a 120mm exhaust, both of which I want to replace. So my question is, which ones have worked the best for you? There's so many reviews on for every fan; people say it's the greatest fan ever, while others say it's the worst. I'm not going to make a decision based on that kind of crappy feedback. It'll help me a lot if I can discuss some case fans with those of you who have replaced the stock ones.

Also, I'm considering doing some ghetto case modding. I have a Centurion 5 case (windowless and stock-air-duct-less) and there's that vent for air flow where the air duct screws in... So I'm considering doing some seriously ghetto shizz with that vent, and maybe finding a way to put a crazy 250mm exhaust fan on it. Any ideas on how to undertake such a task?

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
yo man, check out Xtremesystems; thats where i go when i need modding help. just look around and you'll see in the case, watercooling and aircooling threads. \http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums

good luck

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
A better approach -- that gives you more control --
is to use a good power jigsaw and a proper metal
cutting blade.

You can also use a block of wood clamped behind the area to be cut to keep the case metal from vibrating like mad and getting all deformed.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Or just don't push down too hard, metal hole saws work best with moderate presure if you are having the metal vibrate like crazy then you are either barely touching (and touching unevenly) or you are really pushing down.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

How many drive bays are you using? The Centurion 5 has a mesh front with filters, pop out the steel covers on the unused bays to add more airflow. The sides are interchangeable, I cut a hole in the mobo "tray" and put a slim 80 mm fan on where the air duct was, put on the right side of the case the modded "duct" panel now pulls air from behind the motherboard. Pop a window in the other side with a 120mm+ intake fan. Also cut the existing "finger guards" on the case's stock fan mounts, this will also quiet it down a bit. Pop another 120mm exaust hole in the top and you are good to go. :sol:

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006