The Windows XP Pro - Use efectively the Core II DUO?

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
My question is:

When we have a windows XP Pro and a Core 2 DUO the two cores are used by that version of windows?! Or efectively only one core is used?

Two diferent consuming programs in the XP pro, use the two cores?

Thanks in advance!

(In the XP 64bit ou Vista 64 bit with multitread I know the two cores are efectively used! - But I want mantain the XP Pro more 2 or 3 years!)

Windows XP (Home & Pro) will use both cores.

However, the program that you use must be multi-threaded for it to take advantage of both cores. Otherwise only one core will be used by that program.

If you run two single-threaded programs at the same time then they would each run on separate cores if at least one of them is stressing the CPU.

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Ok! That management (split) of process is made by the CPU or are specific drivers from windows XP included or upgraded by the Windows Updates ? (That system is closed i dont update it!)

Sould i assume, that independently from the sistem or platform (windows, Linux, unix) , the core make the management of processes always with the II cores and using the II cores? (Or the 4 cores in a Quad Core?)

It is the operating system that determines if mutli-core CPUs are supported and assigns the processes accordingly. Athlough I am not familiar with other OS's, Linux and Unix do support multi-core CPUs.

If you to install DOS, Windows 3.1, Win 95 or Win 98, the second core would not be recognized. Well, I'm pretty sure Win 95 & 98 are not multi-thread capable OS's.