How do You Know if your motherboard can handle dual core

I own a ECS RC415ST-HM mother board, it doesnt show up on the manufacturers site, I know its has a 775 socket, but Id like to know whether or not I could upgrade to a Core 2 Duo
3 answers Last reply
More about motherboard handle dual core
  1. Motherboard / processor compatibility usually comes down to what chipset your motherboard has. In your case, you have the ATI RC415 Northbridge. I couldn't find much information on that particular chipset, unfortunately. But, I did find this page listing the specs of a HP/Compaq computer with that same motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864922&cc=us&

According to what that page says, it looks like your board is not compatible with Core2Duo. You can use Pentium D, however.

-TyShoe
  2. The Core2Duos require a slightly different power configuration than previous Intel socket LGA775 CPUs, which means that just about all MBs not designed for C2D CPUs can't run them. I'd believe TS's research.
  3. I am in the same boat righ tnow, been researching non stop for the last 24 hours.
    Spoke to the Tech guy at Compaq, he said You can upgrade to a E2200 or an E5300 Max
    the Person I spoke to at Fry's told me as long ans the Bus speed is the same and the Socket is the same it should also work. Though I have been trolling non stop through these forums now for a day I see more negative than positive opinions. What I cant understand is how this Motherboard WILL support a Dual Core Pentium D but will not support an Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core E2200. Ive checked and ckecked and ckecked and everything looks the same. This link even says that it will support the Pentium 4's and the Core 2's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_chipsets

And the Link to the HP tech specs above thats posted says it will run a Pentium D 900 series. those ran at 3.0Ghzx2 from what I have heard, so whats the difference?? The E2200 runs at the same bus speed,800Mhz same socket just slightly slower than the Pentium D dual cores. All this is very confusing and frustrating.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards ECS Dual Core