Problem with EVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB - temps

veilsidebr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Hello guys. My scenario is this one: (all temperatures are Celsius)

I have a P4 630 3.0 with 2 GB DDR2 from Gskill and all of this mounted into the Asus Striker Extreme.

My aircooling is quite good, with Coolermaster´s Gemin2 installed as the cpu cooler, iddle around 37 and load at 50, 55.

Well, i have an EVGA 8800 GTS Superclocked 640 MB, and i flashed to 625/925 mhz(core/memories).

When i first got it, i simply ran oblivion and it freezed after some minutes of game play, like a green sometimes white screen. I couldnt do anything, but reboot my pc.

Tried other games such as Call of Juarez, and the same problem. Well i could run 3dmark 06 troublefree, but no game playing.

Tried to change the forceware to many different versions, but no succsess. My windows is XP Pro 64.

Temperatures were iddle 77, 78 and load 86(last i could see, because then it would freeze minutes later, while on gameplay).

I had the idea to max the fan work to 100% all the time, and then did it on rivatuner.

Temperatures are now iddle 65 and Load 75, 78 somtimes 80 when my room gets abit hot(its generally 24 or under). But it is strange because, it occasionally freezes. Sometimes BSOD, sometimes those screeens i told(white, green). And now after long gameplay, sometimes some hours, sometimes 40, 50 min(oblivion)but its not predictable).

The BSOD and freeze scenarios are just on gameplay, not at windows usage.

I changed forceware versions again but no succsess. My system temperature is most of times 45 degrees and its well ventilated, so i dont think its up to my general coolers.

Im thinking its probably a faulty VGA, shouldnt have BSOD or freeze screens(and the whole machine) even with 95, 100 degrees.

I dont know what to do but im thinking about RMA it to the store.

Any opinions, suggestions, tips?

Thank you all.

Sam

tiredtraveller

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2007
I think you can try a Burn-In test using some programs(e.g. SiSoftware Sandra).
But if such programs are not accessible to you, you can use the software "Ntune" provided by NVIDIA.

The test page in Ntune is accessible through "Control Panel>NVIDIA Control Panel>System Stability>Perform Stability Test" or "Start>All Programs>NVIDIA Corporation>NVIDIA Control Panel>Stability Test>Perform Stability Test".

You can first put your GPU under test then PCI-E and so on till you find out the which part causes the crash to occur.
Also remember the longer the test is the more reliable the results will be.

If you don't have Ntune installed on your system then you can download it here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/nTune/5.05.47.00/5.05.47.00_ntune_w inxp_international.exe

However, changing your operating system to 32-bit and trying to run the games and tests again won't be so bad.

Wishing to help,
Amin

veilsidebr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
I will follow the tips, and try to use everything on my windows 32 bits.

Btw i have ntune and will test it on the stability test.

I can run orthos for hours so cpu is not a problem. Hd seems very ok also.

3DMark doesnt cause any BSOD.

Thank you

Sam

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
who makes the card?? if it is BFG they have free tech support. It sounds to me like a faulty card, so you should RMA the card.

but it also sounds like either a bios problem or a psu problem... those are my three guesses

good luck

Wolfshadw

Titan
Mav - The thread title states EVGA.

Veilsidebr - So you took the Superclocked version of the 8800GTS-640 576/850 and overclocked that to 625/925. Have you tried returning it to factory specs? Is that even possible after flashing?

-Wolf queries

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
wooops im sorry its 5:30 or so in the morning (insomnia lol)

evga has life time warrenty as well though, but im not sure about free tech support

*and now that i am more awake and can see you oc'ed your card, my opinion is that you should go back to stock clock speeds and see if that does the trick

From what Ive read, the 8800s that are oceed are really close to max. Thing is, they overclock the shader as well, and that can only be done with a bios/flash. I know youve flashed your card, but did you oc the shader clock as well? If youre lucky, and you havnt done this, you may be able to flash it one more time back to where you started. This may be a problem, I hope it works out for you, good luck

According to Rivatuner my shader clocks increase when I raise the core clocks, am I missing something ?