Sign in with
Your question

Is a single GTS 8800 640MB enough to drive 1900x1200 or is SLI better?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2007 3:49:12 PM

Hi guys,

Currently speccing and pricing out components to build a new system. I had originally planned on going with a 650i SLI board but others have suggested in various other parts of these forums, based on ultimate cost of the solution (ie. 1 graphics card vs 2 in SLI) to consider a single card solution with a P35 board instead. So I am now rethinking .....

Here are the facts:
(1) I have a Dell 24" widescreen 2407WFP and I run it at 1900x1200.
(2) I don't currently run all the bells and wistles (AA ASF etc) but would like to with the new system
(3) I would not be able to run SLI immediately due to $$$ of buying 2 GTS cards but would expect to if I got an SLI board

My question is - would it be better to get the P35 board (most likely the GIG GA-P35C-DS3R) and a single 8800 GTS --or-- go with the 650i (Most likely the ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus) with the full expectation of adding a second card in the future sometime? I'd like to optimize my performance for the $$.

Comments? Suggestions? Feedback?
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 12, 2007 4:17:03 PM

An Sli board would leave your options open and you don't have to put a second graphic card in you could use the second PCI-e slot for any PCI-e type card but as yet I don't think that there are any P35 based Sli capable boards out there.
July 12, 2007 4:46:58 PM

You'd be much better off getting a 8800 GTX - if you can find the extra money. Much better performance than the 8800GTS.

Or get two 8800 GTS 320s and SLI those - that would be good bang for the buck.
Related resources
July 12, 2007 5:50:40 PM

if we just stick to this question, then i would say that sli will give more boost as it is known to increase performance in high resolution.
July 12, 2007 6:19:47 PM

ravx said:
Hi guys,

Currently speccing and pricing out components to build a new system. I had originally planned on going with a 650i SLI board but others have suggested in various other parts of these forums, based on ultimate cost of the solution (ie. 1 graphics card vs 2 in SLI) to consider a single card solution with a P35 board instead. So I am now rethinking .....

Here are the facts:
(1) I have a Dell 24" widescreen 2407WFP and I run it at 1900x1200.
(2) I don't currently run all the bells and wistles (AA ASF etc) but would like to with the new system
(3) I would not be able to run SLI immediately due to $$$ of buying 2 GTS cards but would expect to if I got an SLI board

My question is - would it be better to get the P35 board (most likely the GIG GA-P35C-DS3R) and a single 8800 GTS --or-- go with the 650i (Most likely the ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus) with the full expectation of adding a second card in the future sometime? I'd like to optimize my performance for the $$.

Comments? Suggestions? Feedback?

A single 8800GTS or GTX will pretty much run most games reasonably, but at that resolution there are some games like for example DiRT which tax even dual 8800GTX's at that res. I know because I SLI at 1920x1080 which is pretty much the same. I noticed DX10 games need SLI the most.
July 12, 2007 6:51:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys - if I ended up going 650i - would running a single GTS on a SLI board for a while be crippling to performance? I wouldn't be able to afford a second card for a bit - though I figure it might give time for the DX10 stuff to iron itself out ... perhaps.

P35 boards do seem to manage memory a bit better and probably would serve better performance on a single card in the short term for me ... but having the option of tossing a second card in down the road is sooooo inticing ....
July 12, 2007 8:12:30 PM

I'm some what struggling with the same decision myself. I'm going to be getting the Dell 24" HC but it seems like the more research I've been doing, the less appealing SLI seems to be (unless you have the money to spend on 2 of the best cards at the present time for the BEST performance). SLI seems like a GREAT idea but it seems as though you never get the "Double the Performance" like Nvidia claims in there website. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems as though most next gen single cards tend to beat out last gens SLI rigs.

Again if I had the money to blow right away SLI makes sense to me in order to get the best performance possible. Also because DX10 is in its primitive state right now its hard to tell how these cards will perform. There no doubt that these cards rip through all of todays titles (for the most part I suppose).

My plans were to ultimately wait for next gen cards. I built my system last year before the 8800s came out and I had to do it then knowing still that these cards were coming out. But, now this is just me... BUT I think I would buy a single 8800 and a P35 board and when next gen cards come around you can sell your card (I'm sure someone will take it) and use the money you saved up for a second card and buy the best thing available then.
July 12, 2007 8:15:12 PM

i am running an sli board and i only have one 8800gts 640MB...i bought my sli board for dual 7900gs back in the day but now im just running the one 8800..IMHO, you should buy an sli board as they usually have more features and overclock better...even if they don't and are on par with a comparable single slot board, they have the sli option and if you are being enticed that way...just give in to the dark side, its nice over here lol
!