Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Chosing the best AM2 motherboard with onboard video!?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2007 6:21:05 PM

Hi,

I am currently building a system, and I am in search for a good solid, fast, am2 motherboard that has onboard video. The reason that I want onboard video is because I never play games, except for online ones sometimes.
But yeah,so my question is which is the best, am2 motherboard with onboard video?
July 14, 2007 9:37:46 PM

AMD released the 690G chipset in March of this year, and it's got integrated video, good for multimedia type stuff. It's sold pretty well, if that's any indication of performance. You can read up on it here.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=294...

Newegg sells 10+ boards with this chipset, so you've got options if you prefer a particular manufacturer.
July 14, 2007 10:23:46 PM

As jwlangs said, AMD's 690G chipset has fabulous integrated video. Its perfectly suitable for light gaming. I would highly recommend it.

Also not as widely publicized, nVidia's 7000 series. I have'nt seen tests with games but I've seen it decode HD video better than AMD's 690G and a Geforce 7950GT. Linky. I'd also recommend motherboards with this chipset.

So even if you don't play games, the 690G and 7000 series both use very little power compared to other chipsets. They are very new and stable. Pick between the two by price.
Related resources
July 15, 2007 12:25:44 AM

angelkiller said:
As jwlangs said, AMD's 690G chipset has fabulous integrated video. Its perfectly suitable for light gaming. I would highly recommend it.

Also not as widely publicized, nVidia's 7000 series. I have'nt seen tests with games but I've seen it decode HD video better than AMD's 690G and a Geforce 7950GT. Linky. I'd also recommend motherboards with this chipset.

So even if you don't play games, the 690G and 7000 series both use very little power compared to other chipsets. They are very new and stable. Pick between the two by price.

I've been looking for mobo with the 690G but could never find them, they appear to be 7025 video rather than labeled 690G. What's going on? :??: 
July 15, 2007 1:58:39 AM

g-paw, I think 7025 refers to the Nvidia chipset angelkiller was talking about. Here is the URL to the list of boards at newegg with the 690G.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspxSubmit=EN... 7191003+1071928272&name=AMD+690G

Here's for the Nvidia 7000 series

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspxSubmit=EN... 022+107192258&name=NVIDIA+GeForce+7000+serie

Prices between the 2 chipsets look fairly comparable.

If these URLs are too long you might have to copy and paste, or you can just go to newegg, under computer hardware click on motherboards, then AMD motherboards, then under northbridge click on either AMD and then AMD 690G or click on Nvidia GeForce 7000 series. Hope this helps.
July 15, 2007 3:14:01 AM

7025 is faster then 690G and If you want to run vista you are better off getting a video card.
July 15, 2007 3:52:35 AM

small form factor.... asus m2npv-vm. works great, 6150 onboad will run some pretty decent games believe it or not... runs with cheap $50/gig wintec ram... havn't done anything with pci-e slot yet, pci's all work fine, legacy harddrive support + sata 2. wired my xbox ports up to the usb on it easily... err, what else... the heat sink on the one chip gets kinda warm... no biggie... but i zip tied a tiny fan to it out of my xbox (prolly a 2 inch fan)... but other than that it stays pretty cool... will overclock a bit, but i think onboad video limits overclocking on most mobo's... sound works fine ( i run linux x64 by the way) uhmm... dd2-800 4 slots, 4 gig support i think? pleanty of ports for everything.... oh yeah, has component output, s-video output, dvi and vga... but i only run one monitor so not sure about duals.... hmm.... can't think of anything else... it's a good board for under 100 bones with good features... sff too...
July 15, 2007 12:50:38 PM

nachowarrior said:
small form factor.... asus m2npv-vm. works great, 6150 onboad will run some pretty decent games believe it or not... runs with cheap $50/gig wintec ram... havn't done anything with pci-e slot yet, pci's all work fine, legacy harddrive support + sata 2. wired my xbox ports up to the usb on it easily... err, what else... the heat sink on the one chip gets kinda warm... no biggie... but i zip tied a tiny fan to it out of my xbox (prolly a 2 inch fan)... but other than that it stays pretty cool... will overclock a bit, but i think onboad video limits overclocking on most mobo's... sound works fine ( i run linux x64 by the way) uhmm... dd2-800 4 slots, 4 gig support i think? pleanty of ports for everything.... oh yeah, has component output, s-video output, dvi and vga... but i only run one monitor so not sure about duals.... hmm.... can't think of anything else... it's a good board for under 100 bones with good features... sff too...

I have a couple of these ASUS boards and they have been very good. I don't game but am doing video editing, capturing, and rendering and they work fine.

jwlangs, thanks. Couldn't find the 690G boards because I was looking under onboard video rather than the northbridge when doing power searchs
!