Sign in with
Your question

Storage

Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2007 3:38:29 PM

Need Help. I have a Dell Precision 530 workstation with two OEM internal HDD IDE/SCSI drives ("C" drive and "D" Data Volume, Fujitsu Man318MP SCSI Disk, 17GB each, per Device Manager.) I want to upgrade to SATA internal drives for speed and more capacity. Can I do this?, and do I need an ATA adapter card and new internal cabling to the Motherboard and/or power supply? Can I do it with UltraSATA drives or adapter card without new cabling? (present IDE/SCSI cable is inline with both OEM drives on one cable). Finally, I recently added a MetalGear USB external HDD drive enclosure with a Western Digital IDE drive--if I change to internal SATA drives, can I still use the external drive/enclosure as is, or do I need to go to a serial ATA drive externally, too? Trying to learn as I go. Thanks for any help you can provide.

More about : storage

a b G Storage
July 29, 2007 4:23:28 PM

You would need to get a SATA controller card. But, check this out.....
With your system, going SATA while getting more storage capacity, is downgrading in performance.
Those 2 SCSI drives you have, though small in size I believe are Ultra 160 10,000 rpm drives. In other words, they are very, very fast drives.
Faster than any SATA drive you could buy, save a couple of Raptors in RAID.
Why don't you just buy a new larger SCSI drive, like this one http://www.yobitech.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=...

to replace one of the drives you have?
Cheapest, easiest, fastest, way best performance-wise way to go.
No matter what you do, your external USB drive will work fine just as it is now.
July 29, 2007 4:51:38 PM

Thank you very much! I did not know what I had, and will follow your advice. Should I go ahead and replace both, if I can afford it? Thanks for your help.
a b G Storage
July 29, 2007 6:40:04 PM

Well, that's entirely up to you. 17 gig per drive is not much space.
If one bigger drive will do the trick, fine. If not, why not replace both if you have the cash. The bad thing about SCSI drives is the larger they are, they do expensive.
!