PC wont boot into WINDOWS

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Ok, so the other day i was starting my pc up, and it gave me an error "A disk error occurred." I spent all day fixing it, running a bunch of crap on it. (recovery mode, seatools hdd test, ect.) it happened to be a currupt boot.ini file. so i rebuilt the file, but i had made 3 other boot.ini files on accident. i edited the file cutting out the other 2 window boots and I shut my pc down. Next day came around, started up my pc and this time i dont even get an error. I am in an everlasting loop of my computer restarting. I cant even get the windows screen. after the ASUS COMP. screen pops up everything turns black and it reboots. Ive run CHDSK a bunch of times, fixboot, seatools, and tried rebuilding the boot.ini file. i have had NO luck whatsoever with it so now I am coming to the trusty folks here.
So heres my problem
1. A disk error
2. rebuilt boot.ini (pc started up fine)
3. edited & deleted other boots from boot.ini file
4. shut down pc
5. continuous rebooting loop
6. HELP
Please help me out with this one. THX FOR REPLIES!
right now im gonna get the hdd out and put it in my other pc to see if it is detected and maybe modify the boot.ini file. Where is it located-c:/windows or c:/windows/system32?

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I had almost the same problem... VERY frustrating. It happened to me after I tried to setup dual OS with XP and Vista. I spent about 3 days trying to fix it and went to various websites and forums and tried just about everything. I even replaced the hard drive with 3 different models to be sure and still had the same problem. My system had also been overclocked and various motherboard settings have been changed or tweaked. Didnt think this was an issue but out of desperation I changed my BIOS to default and after that my computer booted up just fine. Its weird because once I got it up again I set all the same settings back and never had that problem again.

So... I asked, Have you made and changes in the BIOS? Try setting it to default reguardless of changes.

Hopefully this helps at least a little bit. But I know how you feel. When this happened my system was only a few months old so I was pretty upset.

Also I reformated before I set my bios to default.

Good luck and dont give up.

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
ok ive made some progress. i did a non destructive reinstallation of windows xp and now when my pc can get onto the windows splash screen, but then a BSOD apperas for a spit second and my pc reboots. i cant boot into safe mode(it restarts) and i cant see the letters and numbers on the blue screen cuz it goes by so fast. HELP