Oilpatch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Help Please

Have been merrily working along with my newish home built PC with Vista Business for last 3 months, everything fine except it won't play DVDs. Googled issue found needed to download Codec, chose and dowsnlaoded and installed Vista Codec Package 4.4.7, with about 1 mln other downloads on the site I was at, installed fine. Still wouldn't play DVD so cold rebooted PC and machine hangs on first Gigabyte splash screen, Tab. Del etc won't let me in.

Tried unplugging HD and Ram, still hangs at same point. MY PC's spcs below.

If I let sit about 3 min, it does finally go into the CMOS screen, I chose Safe Defaults, save and then boot routine proceeds but then hangs on black booup screen after listing "PCI Devices Listing . . .".

Any advice welcome please . . . John.

My PC's specs:
1) MB = Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ver 2.0 with Bios 9 I think (I've never upgraded)
2) CPU = E4300
3) VGA = EVGA nvidia 7600GT
4) Ram = 4 1GB sticks DDR2 667
5) HD = Seagate 320 & 200
6) Floppy = None
7) Keyboard & Mouse = Normally USB, but I just put on old style
8) OS = Vista Business

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You probably mean the BIOS not CMOS screen. Try clearing your CMOS, your mobo manual should tell you how. If you can boot into Windows even if Safe Mode, I'd uninstall anything that you installed. If you get into Windows, see if there are any firmware updates for your DVD drive. See if there any Vista for the program you're using to play your DVDs.

Oilpatch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Hi all, thanks for ideas, sorry for delay in returning, I searched and seached and found on another forum that someone else had a similar problem and their PC was hanging on boot splash screen before POST due to an incompatability with their multi card reader. After 4 hours of banging my ahead against the wall and searching for ideas, I unplugged my older Dazzle multi card reader & voila, booted normally.

Lesson learnt is that first go back to basics and remove all superfluous stuff like all USB devices. Would have saved me 3 hours and lots of stress.

Thanks for the ideas anyways.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah, I did the same thing with my iPod. Left it plugged in before I fixed the boot prioritie's. As for your codec thing. Get the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. Its about 48 megs and has every codec you can dream of.