Workgroup and Domain Member Concurrently?

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
My networking knowledge is rather limited so...

I have a laptop that is used at work on their domain (wired). At work I use a static IP and a domain controller that gets DNS. I also take the laptop home and use it on my wireless network at home. I have tried naming my workgroup at home the same as the domain and just leaving the computer a member of the domain at work. This worked for a while and then just stopped one day. The laptop can now no longer get DNS at home for some reason (and hence no internet), but can wirelessly transfer files between my networked home computers. My solution to this right now is to join my workgroup when I go home and restart, then join the domain at work and restart. It is a huge pain to change settings like this every day. Does anyone have any insight that might fix this problem? Thanks.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Can't do them concurrently, but you will be able to use the laptop in your home network. If you install Netbois protocol on all your PCs (easy to do through your network card properties) then you will be able to get to your computers using their name, so you'd type "\\computername" into an explorer window. In fact, you might be able to do with out netbios, and just type the computers ip address into the explorer window.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
This is common with laptops, the only thing you'll need to do is change to DHCP when your at home and then back to static at work... provided you can log in locally so you don't have to authenticate to the domain.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005

I do have two NICs, so I was hoping I could use the static IP settings on the wired NIC and keep DHCP going on the wireless NIC's settings. Is that not possible?

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
It is possible to leave your wireless as DHCP and your wired as static.

If you end up wanting to plug in at home you could write 2 batch scripts to quickly change between dhcp and the static IP and leave them on your desktop, that way all you'd have to do is double click the script for the location you are at to change your IP without having to fool around with the NIC properties.

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
It is possible to leave your wireless as DHCP and your wired as static.

If you end up wanting to plug in at home you could write 2 batch scripts to quickly change between dhcp and the static IP and leave them on your desktop, that way all you'd have to do is double click the script for the location you are at to change your IP without having to fool around with the NIC properties.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005

Yes, the laptop is docked at work using ethernet cable and undocked at home using WiFi. What do you mean by separate profiles. User accounts? If so, then yes to no avail.