Gigabyte P965 DS3 no boot

berki

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
I have installed everything but when powered on it stays on for a a few seconds then back off then back on continually. It has power on and of over 10 times. The CPU and system fans don't spin. All other fans spin fine. There are no beeps or posts at all. I have tested all the components and they work fine in other PC's. PSU is fine.

I have heard that the Gigabyte P965 DS3 don't like certain RAM do they keep restarting then if the RAM only operates at 2.1v? I have GEIL 2x1Gb PC800 Ultra low latency DDR2 RAM.

I bought some generic 533mhz DDR2 from a computer shop there's no sticker on it that shows the voltage but that didn't work too. It powers on then off continuously.

System specs are
gigabyte P965 rev3.3 DS3 board dual PCI x16 expess
Geil 2x1gb PC800 Ultra low latency
250Gb wd drive
E6700 core duo
Arctic freezer 7
Nvidia 7300 GT
650watt PSU

Any help?

Mondoman

Splendid
Try clearing the CMOS (with the power cord unplugged). Also, is your CPU cooler plugged into the CPUFAN header?
There might be a flaw in your assembly. It's often easiest to "bench test" the system by removing the items from the case, installing only the CPU, CPU cooler, 1 DIMM, and graphics card on the MB, which is placed on a flat, non-conductive surface (like a piece of cardboard). Attach the main 24-pin power connector, the 2x2 ATX12V for the CPU, and any other power connector needed for either the MB or graphics card. Then, try turning on the system by momentarily shorting the two "power on/off" pins in the MB front panel header (using e.g. a screwdriver blade).
If you have a small speaker you can connect to the 2 speaker pins in the front panel header ("speaker", not audio out or similar), that will help by allowing you to hear any error beep code.

horsepower288

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
i have geil ultras 800 as well, and they operate on my GA-P965-DS3 from 1,9 v to 2,1 v at the specified low latencies, and they're as solid as a rock...tell us about the power supply, maybe it doesn't cut it...

nemo12

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
:( I have EXACTLY the same problem.

Gigabyte GA-P965_DS3, 6320 processor, 2x1GB corsair 800 memory, 430 watt seasonic PS

Will not boot in or out of case with any combination of none/one/ or two DIMMS.
Power comes on, PS fan spins but CPU fan does not spin up, disk drives (when connected) spin up,
but then after 2-3 secs everthing shuts down and then about 3 secs later everyting automatically
tries to restart again, just keeps cycling like this.

At first I thought it was the 430W power supply but you are having the same problem with 650W PS!

I will try resetting the CMOS.

Any other ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

nemo12

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Follow-up on GA-965P-DS3 + 2GB corsair 6400C4 boot problem:

I cleared the CMOS by uplugging the power, removing the battery and shorting the clear cmos pins.
I then set up the board on it's box outside the case with just 1 stick of memory (see system list below).
System powers up with the CPU fan starting about 4 secs after the power-up.
Mounted board in case, then added one component at a time -all with just 1 stick ram loaded.
System continued to boot fine. Decided to load OS before trying to add the second stick of ram. OS loaded fine.
Can now use PC wizard to probe system voltages etc. Will try to load second 1GB of ram after adjusting memory voltage to 2.1V...

system:
GA-965P-DS3
E6320
corsair twin2x2048 6400C4 (only 1GB loaded at present)
gigabyte GVRX165256D (X1650 radeon)
seagate 250GB sata drive
pioneer sata DVR (DVR-212DD)
vista