Transfering Windows to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vntg

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I got a new machine and am going to transfer over my retail windows to it. I was curious though, when I call them for the windows activation for my new machine, what happens to my old machine with that same windows key on it? I mean, MS will have the hardware config for my new machine, but my old machine is still already validated. Is it still fully functional? or will MS restrict it in some way like not being able to get updates?

Im just curious, I am planning on wiping my old comp for pieces anyways.

As long as activation for the unit is in effect, the installation works as normal.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
It sounds like you are asking if you can have a single user copy of windows installed on multiple machines.....of course the answer to this is no.

What happens if you have one license on multiple machines? I don't know, it's illegal and I only break the law when it's 4:20 ;-)

vntg

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Lol amdchuck, i know the answer to that is no, but what I am asking is will it work? And to badge, how long would the activation still be in effect on my old machine? Would my old machine check with MS's database and know that its lisence is no longer valid?

Read my initial post carefully.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I don't think MS is overly concerned with non-commercial XP installations and really, there is nothing technical preventing you from running multiple installations.....that I know of and badge seems to be insinuating that as well (though it's a little past 4:20 right now so I am bit hazy on what exactly he is insinuating lmao).

Like I said though, it does violate the terms of the licensing agreement and therefore is technically illegal.....

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Shovenose, it's not that I disagree with you. I just think it might be wise to show a little restraint when offering advice.......

Advising someone it is ok to break the law because you don't think it is enforced is irresponsible.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
damn right you are not advising me, I didn't ask for your advice.

You however did advise vntg (the OP) that it was ok to install one copy of WinXP on multiple computers even though it was illegal as, and I quote "illegal, but so what?"

Stop with the semantics and grow up, if you can't admit it was a mistake to post that comment then just drop it.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I don't want to get into the semantics of the meaning of words like advising and saying etc.

I understand what you are saying and as long as you can see that it probably wasn't the best idea, which it seems you do, we can just let it go....

Status
Not open for further replies.