best program for cloning your HDD

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I have a HDD that has been making some wierd noises. lately those wierd noises have turned into loud grindings, and i noticed that my computer loads files,pics,vids,etc slower. i decided that i should get a new HDD. i want to clone everything to my external HDD(all my files and my operating system). i tried to use xp's backup program but it says that there is a 4 gig max.

so my question is- what is the best program that will let me back up a HDD?? i looked around and ithink that acronis and norton ghost are good, but do you know of any free ones?? i'm kind of on a budget and after this new HDD im broke, so any help would be awesom.

zzzop

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
If you have a Seagate drive you can download Seagate DiscWizard (Acronis) free. It works great for cloning boot disks and it's free!!!

flooder

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I use Norton Ghost many times and very reliable. I have a friend who use Acronis also, said it is very good. So, I guess it is either Ghost or Acronis will serve you well.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
1. Acronis True Image Home 10
2. Ghost 8 (the last that I use, haven't tried the latest ed.)
3. Paragon (didn't use much, so I don't have much experience with this app)

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
How about copy and paste? Won't do the OS though - for that I'd recommend the same as mayers57 - Norton Ghost.

If I was you I'd do a copy and paste in the meantime just in case you lose your drive.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Well now,,,no matter how you look at it you are still going to need some form of image saver for your primary hdd,,ie boot sector etc,the rest you can copy and paste,you must know some one who uses norton ghost,[local computer club etc???]because all you need is a the ghost floppy,should you get same then ,, you can clone your drive,note,,for an exact clone both hdd's MUST be of the same size..Otherwise you will need partition magic or something..
Now then the the other alternative,which is a real pain,,is to,fdisk/format the new drive just like the old drive reinstall and then copy everything into the appropriate directories,a shortcut that I have used for that procedure is 1,,fdisk/format/activate the primary/active partition,reboot fdisk then do extended partition/logical drives,and then do a quick format on the logical partitions with XP,NOTE:::DO NOT quick format the primary partition !!!!,this method will save you a lot of time,I have been doing this for years with no ill effects/problems...:)

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Wow - that software looks good for freeware. To the OP - listen to this guy :)

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
You could also try CopyWipe for DOS. Freeware tool that can be booted from CD and copies the exact contents of one harddisk to another.
Simply download the program, unzip it, put a CD in your burner and run Makedisk.exe.

Shut down your computer, connect the new hardddisk and start the computer again booting on the CD you just made and choose the copy tool. Afterwards the same tool can be used for wiping the old harddisk if you feel the need.

The download contains a manual for the program.

The program is freeware and can be found here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.html