E6600 @ 2.8 , 58 Degrees !!!!!!!!!!

Hi all , its my first post here , well about a month ago i decided to OC my E6600 with its stock cooler , i managed to get 2.8 without voltage change , but my temperature was 58 degrees (centigrade) ,(even when my cpu usage is 0% , i have this temp) so i decided to buy a new cooler , i bought cooler master HyperTX , but my temps are still 58 , everything is fine , thermal paste is and was (with my old cooler ) enough , and the cooler is @ its right place on the mobo

where is the problem ?

My specs :

E6600
GIGABYTE 965P DS4
2GB OCZ DDR2 533 GOLD EDTION XTC
160GB H.D.D
7900GTX512
CASE : TT ARMOR
PSU: TT PURE POWER 680WAT SLI

genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Way too high for idle. I would check the mount - too much or too little thermal pasts, uneven attachment?
Something is clearly wrong.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Download coretemp 0.95 here: http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Go to options/settings and set "show delta to Tjunction temp" , now look at the numbers reported in the Coretemp #1 and #2 on Idle and Load (running Orthos or Prime95) and post them here.

note- when DTS values start dropping below 30 on full load abort Orthos/Prime95, that's when your CPU is starting to run too hot for daily use.

GL.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Ok, atleast now we know speedfan was reporting the correct temps. As you said you were 100% sure the cooler was mounted correctly I thought it might be an error in temp reporting which doesn't seem to be the case.
The thing that sticks out to me is the lack of temp drop after mounting the new cooler. Looking around on the web it seems the hyper tx is by far better than the stock cooler so that should have made a difference regardless if anything else was wrong like voltages or ambient/casetemp. What you could try is again remove the cooler, clean thermalpaste thoroughly and check to see if CPU/cooler heatsinks are flat. Put the cooler upside-down and lay the CPU on it, for the most part they should be touching except for MAYBE at the outermost edges as these CPU's tend to be a little concave. If the CPU wobbles on the heatsink you might want to consider lapping the cooler or CPU or, if it's really bad, RMA-ing the whole lot if still under warranty.
If you can't see anything clearly wrong with the surfaces, reapply thermal paste sparingly and remount the heatsink paying special attention to the push pins. These things can be a pain in the backside and need quite a bit of force for them to be in correctly. On the TX they seem to be covered by the ribs so maybe one of the pins isn't completely in or something like that.
One other thing though. The TX comes with pre-applied thermal paste right? Did you remove the plastic foil or apply extra thermal paste to the CPU. May sound stupid but you know... just checking :D Either of these things could seriously affect cooling. That's about all I can think of right now so...

GL.

i have tried that too , i removed the cooler and put it again on my mobo , as i said i am 100% sure , the cooler is attached and there is enough thermal paste , also i have removed the plastic foil :d

btw , its interesting that when i had my old stock cooler ( which again was 100% attached with enough TP) my temps were the same ,

jimmytheknife

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
im on my first overclock so im probably way off here! sorry if i am.

You say you've not changed the voltage [vcore i presume?] U havent left the vCore setting at Auto in the BIOS have you, as it overvolts and drives up the temp v.quickly?

Intel quote voltage specs, and my 'Auto' voltage setting was well above what Intel recommend. I brought it down and the temp returned well within acceptables

a horrible thing happened today :

today i turned my PC on ,it shut down after 2-3 secs , then it came up agian , then it shut down, i didnt let me to see anything , then i plugged the power cord out and cleared the CMOS and my cpu is @ stock now (2.4) but my temps are Core0: 54 , Core1: 52

A friend has a similar setup , C2D E6600 @ 2.4 , Gigabyte 965DS4 , 8800GTX , his core0 temp is 31 and core1 temp is 34

what shall i do ?

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
It has been asked before, but what voltage is set, auto or manual? It could be that your board is defective or just a little off on voltages so check bios or CPU-z for actual CPU voltage. If they are way off, try setting it manually to Intels specs (should be on the box your CPU came in). The resetting indicates an OC setting was unstable and as temps are way too high I'd suspect the Voltage first.

GL.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
What's your MB temp (or temp of anything else in the case except GPU)?

My thinking is you may need to look at the cooling of your case - if you have the fans installed funny or don't have many openings for airflow that could explain the high idle temp. If you leave your comp running for a couple hours and the MB temp is >45 this is likely the problem.

Solution: Make sure you don't have all/most of your fans blowing in one direction. in an extreme situation - if you only have openings for a rear and power supply fan - and both are trying to blow the air out - very little "cool" air moves into the case and temps go sky-high (and you can't cool a CPU with hot air, so it runs hot)

alpine_sc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I also experienced the power cycling thing that you described with my DS3. That just means your system wasn't stable at those settings.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
But how are the fans pointed? Even with a lot of fans, if they aren't properly setup you would be better off without them.

Ideally you want slightly more air being blown into the case than you have fans pushing the hot air out.

Can you list the fan openings in that case and which way the fans are blowing (if included). If your heatsink is properly mounted with enough thermal paste... I don't know of anything other than case temp that would have your CPU running that hot.

Is your computer running 24x7? if not when you first boot-up what do your temps do? ie: jump straight to 55, or start ~40 and slowly (5 min+) climb to 55?

my temps go straightly to 55 , ( as i said i am 2.4 now )

as i said my fans are @ their right direction , here is a pic (sorry for bad quality) :

image.php
[/url]

bh626pro

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Since measuring C2D temps can be a crapshoot, try this. Set your BIOS so that your PC is running as undervolted as possible. ie; 200 FSB, 6x multiplier, VCore as low as you can go.

Boot the computer and check temps. At these low power settings your idle temps should be just above ambient. If not, I would say your BIOS is calculating the wrong temps.

To measure the DTS off the core register directly, see this thread.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/208947-speedfan-temps-2.html#post 2402667

another bad news guys , i just installed graw2 , i was optimizing the graphic settings and when i pressed apply and went in the game, but suddenly a blue screen with a lot of white sentences came and when i was going to read it ,my PC restarted,
what am i gonna to do ? (maybe buy a new rig , ha ? )