Gaming LCD Monitor

virgilio

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hey ALL,
can someone tell me how to choose a Gaming LCD monitor?
im not a hardcore gamer, but since i have a nice config i would like to use it at 100% !
i waiting for Crysis and im playing Flight Simulator X , a lot!!!
so im looking for a monitor above 19 inch. and 2 ms of response time , the rest i dont know how to choose it:contrast and all.
i built my own rig, but in the monitor world, i dont know S#*T!

so thanks in advance for helping me

PS:do you guys think its worth buying a second GPU?for Flight Sim X and the future games?(in my case another 8800GTX)

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
IMO Samsung ,Viewsonic,and Dell have the best monitors right now.Most are around 5ms which will be fine.On the GPU,if you have money to burn and a single GTX isn.t enough go ahead and get another but I would just save the cash and see what the next generation brings.That card is a beast and can be OC'ed to an Ultra.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Go for a Dell 2407WFP if you can (A04 rev)...one of the best 24" lcd's for the price of it..FSX at 1920x1200 looks unbelievable!!

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Jesus, you want 2 x 8800GTX's!!!! That would be a serious kick ass system. A few points to consider though.
(sorry if you already know this)

Unless you're going to run this on a massive screen and using resolutions in the 2000+ I don't think you would benefit. Also what type of CPU are you using, that could be a serious bottleneck, also your PSU you'll need at least a 1KW!!! You must have more money than sense. I agree with stranger, keep your money and wait for the next ultra powerful card and replace it

virgilio

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Thanks for your answers guys. ill look up for Dell, and viewsonic, and ill take look at the samsung series also...

about the GPU, well, its the money, cause i buy all my hardware in Hong Kong... its really cheap there.
so i think ill go for another 8800GTX...btw when you go sli like this, does all the games takes advante of it??

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
don't expect 100% speed increase from two video cards in SLI. In most cases, don't even expect 50%, you'll probably average around 20-40% performance gain from running two cards in SLI based on the benchmarks I've seen in comparison to a single card.

IMO, not worth it AT ALL. better to wait till the next high end card comes out and spend the same money, but get better bleeding edge performance than you would have had buying two of the previous generation.

as for monitors, my advice is to spend the extra to choose the better models. You'll find Dell, Samsung, Viewsonic, all of them have a "basic" and a "better" model of every size monitor (let's say 22" for example). I bought an LG 22" model, but spent the extra for the better model of theirs. I have not regretted it for a moment, it looks incredible. The Samsungs rate just as well in reviews I've seen.

I highly recommend going through this thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

note: for some reason the forum keeps adding a space in the URL, I am unable to fix the link, but you can note what it is and remove the space to make it work

virgilio

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hey,
thanks for your answers!! its very helpful !!!

you guys are right , ill stick with one 8800GTX! and ill wait for the next gen cards!
i think my cpu wouldve been ok to run Two cards. i have the e6600 overcloked @ 3.2ghz... Vista Ultimate runs so smoothly!!!( i got a good air cooling system,+ i got 7 fans in my case one that as a diameter of 25cm!!i love my case lol)
anyway, for the Monitor.. ill definitly check out what you guys propose..sounds great!! its exactly what im looking for,22" 2ms response time!!

do you guys know when the next gen GPU will come out?(nVidia)