bodieboy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Can I get drivers for my computer using internet access from a different model computer? If I reformat without my drivers how will I get my network to access the internet to get them?

saran008

Distinguished
Welcome Buddy!

Can I get drivers for my computer using internet access from a different model computer?

Yes.You can. If you want to download your systems latest driver, you should know the make and model of your piece of hardware, for which you want drivers.

If I reformat without my drivers how will I get my network to access the internet to get them?

+1^ saint19

bodieboy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

bodieboy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
O.K. here goes.... I am new to posting in forms, so I didn't follow where "this" is in Saran008's reply. I wrote down the forum number to find my way back to check responses.

To be brief. Viruses! Possibly my DVD player going bad. Downloaded Ubuntu/Linux. Opens on another computer but not the one I am working on. Ubuntu won't boot from CD/DVD. Been in Bios to change the boot using F2 and F12. Won't boot.

Managed to get into Backup last night, I now have system files on a USB Drive. In case my CD/DVD is troubled I don't know how I will get the drivers back if I reformat. Or if the virus travels with the backup files. I have a Windows XP Home program disk and several key codes, no idea which one goes to the XP disk or if it matters.

I have tried to install AVG, Malware, Avira, others and am continually told I have to uninstall Trend Micro Pc-cillan. I am asked for password to uninstall and don't have one. I am going to download freeware program removal tool next.

Been 5 years since last HDD reformat. So I'm trying to avoid killing my computer. If FDISK or other format takes and I lose everything, I suppose I will next be ordering a new CD/DVD player if Windows won't reinstall or Key code does not take. I don't want to buy any more copies of Windows.

I appreciate all help and will leave it there for now. Thank you.

saran008

Distinguished
OK buddy! Be cool!

Hope you had pc-cillin sometime beore and it may hav some registry entries uncleared.Try this to remove Pc-cillin!
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Page...sions-of-Trend-Micro-products-in-my-comp.aspx

or if its's not working try this tool

Download Revo free uninstaller, delete only the bolded files it finds, it will remove everything related in the registry.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/.

Hope you'll get your work done ;)

You can download all of your drivers from corresponding websites for all of your hardware.
All the best.

bodieboy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Saran008,

Not sure if this message will find you or post to all. Thank you for your suggestion to Trend Micro's site. It's seems to have removed the PC-cillin. I tried using my backup registry also. Not sure at this point, but my computer is running closer to normal.

I am trying to load/reload AVG anti-virus and am having some trouble with this. I believe the problem began when I removed many startup programs due to a slow computer and must have removed my AVG allowing the virus.

When I pull up websites they open fine. When I try to open AVG's free 9.0, I am redirected to different websites for other paid anti-virus programs. Kind of weird. Not sure what's going on there. I also had about 20 popup's for approval for programs at startup. Could be due to backup files.

But seems to be moving along and I wanted to thank you very much for you help.