Quesiton on the Thermaltake Ultra-120 X

goodpotatoes

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
It seems that all of the heat pipes do not connect to the heat sink. I purchased two, and each had the same feature (defect?) So my quesitons are:

■Has Thermaltake done this intentionally?
■What is the thermal benefit of not having two of the heat pip soldered to the heat sink at either end?
■Would you return this?

862283476_dfd20b2138_o_d.jpg

Here you can see the middle pipe that doesn't connect. The adjacent middle pipe is the same on the opposite side

861423265_d36df177f7.jpg

The two pipes correspond to the two offset notches on the sink, seen here.

I would test them out, to see if they function correctly. Having 2 of them with the same feature as such indicates a manufacturing process or defect. However, if it is a manufacturing defect, then all manufactured Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extremes should have it. However, as we know, most other people don't have a problem with it.

If they don't cool as advertised, then yes, I would return them. Otherwise, just let it go and use the coolers.

goodpotatoes

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I'm using both of them right now, and they seem to be working okay. The Thermaltake coolers had very good reviews on most places, and I chose them because of their benchmarks on sound and cooling.

Now that I see there is a gap between the pipe, I’m not sure how these two stack up against the ones that were tested.

Does anybody else have pictures of their cooler at these angles? I’ve looked, but haven’t found any.

G

Id say its designed that way the too that aint soldered are the 2 which bend the furthest towards the centre. Its to save having to fill the bigger hole under the heat pipe with solder. hope this helps

[eFz]GrumpyGremlin

www.efragz.net