WinXP on a cd-drive-less computer

shovenose

Distinguished
i would like to install windows xp on a mini-itx VIA 400mhz computer. i have kubuntu; its driving me mad! i have a 4gb usb flash drive and i can make a usb cd drive, no problem...
so how do i do it? can i boot off of usb if i am using the VIA Mainboard VPSD 400MHZ? please tell me how. otherwise, give me advice on my post "will this work as rver? in the SERVER section or "Kubuntu and Windows Network" in the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS NETWORKING section. thanks

shovenose

Distinguished
well its a rather modded thingy, and its pretty much super glued together, at least the hd is, cause i had to fit a bigger psu, so the only way i can attach the cd drive becasue the cable is too short is to have it upsidedown, ive tried that + it didnt work...theres not USB boot option but theres a "boot from other devices" option that i can enable, is that the sam thing?
how do i install of of a usb key? do i simply copy the cd to my usb flahs drive?
thanks

You can try "other devices." If the board is more than a couple of years old, you may have to get a longer cable for the cd drive (hang the drive outside the case) so you can install xp.

OK, on the USB stick, your idea is good, but you knew it wasn't going to be that easy. I've had success (used a USB stick to install Win7RC1x64) with the HP Drive Key Boot Utility (here), and I'm linking google results here, there are several articles with the steps required to make a bootable winxp install stick. I found the first 2 to be the best for helping me understand and make my the win7 install USB stick.

shovenose

Distinguished
well right now im cpying a windows 2000 pro sp4 cd to my 8gb fl;ash drive. im not sure if this is gonna work, cause it can be set to USB-ZIP or USB-FLOPPY. when its done copying ill try enabling BOOT OTHER DEVICES and try win2k since its easier for this really weak computer than XP is...

shovenose

Distinguished
I installed win7 beta on my netbook , but thats another story. Yesterday, i tried booting from a usb cd drive with win 2000 bjt it didnt work . After making lots of noise (thd cd drive) the computer just gave me the grub bootloader for kubunt. I tried this with the usbzip and usbfloppy and cdrom settings in the bios. I havent tried disabling all ither boot devices and ysed the "boot other devices" seetting . Sorry about the long post, i will post more when i try booting if my usb flash druve