OLPC and Intel - Working together? What?

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
So I'm completely confused.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070713/hundred_dollar_laptop_intel.html?.v=4

So now that Negroponte has blasted Intel in the media for trying to do their own project, Intel's now going to do their own project AND try to move AMD out of the OLPC market. And AMD says "Intel's apparent change of heart is welcome, and we're sure they can make a positive contribution to this very worthy project for the benefit of children all over the world."

So everyone's all buddy buddy? I doubt it. I'm happy if this actually does end up in the result of getting computers into the hands of poor kids (<sarcasm>they can't buy food, but at least they have computers</sarcasm>), but at least one party in this three party debacle has a less geniune interest in the children, and I'm trying to figure it out.

AMD and Intel both obviously want to capture as much of the world market as possible (they actually have a legal requirement to do so - enhance value for stockholders). They may not say that's the driving force, but it is.

Negroponte has a vested interest in getting his project to be the one big project that brings poor people laptops (best case - just ego boost and maybe nobel prize...worst case, he somehow is able to embezzle money out of the program).

This continues to be interesting, we'll have to see where it goes from here.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I'm so confused by this whole thing...I don't even know what to type. It does seem that AMD will get the lions share of laptop cpu orders, where Intel will get the server cpu orders associated with any government deals.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I don't see what's so confusing.
Intel and OLPC have somewhat settled their differences, and decided to work with each other rather than against each other in pushing out education via technology. So, in rural areas, the OLPC will be pushed, since it uses lower power and has the handcrank thingee, while urban areas, with a decent electrical infrastructure, is where the Classmate PC will be pushed. That's what different articles suggested, anyway, including this one.
For example, Intel's Classmate, which has to be plugged in, might be an option for urban settings, while the XO laptops, which use very little power and can be mechanically recharged by hand, could go into rural districts.

Along with this, the OLPC now has 2 CPU choices for future XO systems, which could benefit it's cause. This could also lead to Microsoft lending a hand, which will open the OLPC up to even more software choices.

I see it as a win for OLPC in many factors.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

Agreed, there are some specifics as to how the potential division of cpu orders will go, but still a fairly muddy relationship with both AMD and Intel on the board. These things always sound great on paper, but they can turn into a real power keg in a snap...someone's gonna get their toes stepped on.