Sign in with
Your question

My E4300 is threatening me with divorce! HELP!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 21, 2007 7:30:57 AM

I recently bought a new computer 3 months ago...

Power Supply
Seasonic S12 Energy +550W ATX12V V2.2 20/24 PIN Active PFC Power Supply

Mobo
Gigagbyte GA-965P-S3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN

CPU
Intel Core 2 DUO E4300 Dual Core Processo LGA775 1.8ghz 800fsb

Video Card
EVGA E-Geforce 8800 GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DirectX10

Ram
G.SKill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ PC2-6400 2GB 2X1gb DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel

HDD
WD1200BB/JB 7200 RPM

Case
Cooler Master CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5x5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5 INT Silver-Black

I must say, it may not be a E6400/E6600/Quad or loaded with a 8800 GTX, but I really like it. Now, onto the problems as to why my E4300 and I are not getting along. Since we met eachother 3 months ago, I have been promising to overclock her...now why don't I just search for an overclock E4300 thread. Well, I am very confused as to my cooling.

I spent a smidge over 1200$$$ on my system (CDN), but went really cheap with the case as you can see. Wow, I take a long time to get to the REAL QUESTION. Anyways, my case has 1(one) 80mm front fan, 1(one) 80 mm side fan slot (there is no fan because the case didn't come with one), and 1(one) 120mm exhaust fan.

Every fan is stock btw.

My sytem temps as I type this are: 31 degrees Cels (CPU)
----------------------------------44 degrees Cels (SYSTEM)

When I first bought the computer and the weather was cold outside, I was around 19-30 degrees Cels (CPU)
------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------30's for SYSTEM

Under load they didn't raise a whole lot (I have nothing right now to check this).

Even though I live up in the great white north, my city last week hit 30 degrees cels outside (34 high) and this week it is mid 20's and expected to reach 30's again this summer.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

What should I do to accomodate my overclocking?

Please choose any of these and create a combo that you think would work best.

Buy a new CPU FAN (cooler whatever you call these)
Buy a new case with 120mm fans all over
Buy a new 80mm fan that pushes a lot of air
Buy TWO new 80mm fans that push a lot of air (one for side/front)
Buy a new 120 fan for the exhaust
Buy a pci slot fan that goes under the video card (I know my 8800 has one built in, but would this help?)
Buy a new Northbridge Fan

I would prefer to keep my case and just add new fans if possible (with a fan controller if the fans sound like a tornado is playing in my room), but whatever it will take to get my e4300 to 3 gigz I shall do!

July 21, 2007 11:36:49 AM

The case should not reach temperatures that much hotter than the CPU, using standard cooling. Having a large case temp increase with the temperature change outside indicates bad airflow. There is the question of dead air spots in the case, as well as air flow constriction.

The Cent 5 is a good case, but not for overclockers. That big video card affecting the airflow, as well as the small fan makes a big problem. If you replace the fans with fans that have higher air flow, you will most likely create higher noise levels, especially with those 80mm fans. You stated that you would get a fan controller, which would largely negate the benefit of the better fans. You could result in spending money to little or no overall benefit.

Alternatively, buying a new case may be a bit more expensive than fan replacement, but it pretty much guarantees better temperatures. Simple fan replacement won't do this. Knowing this, I recommend a new case.

A case that would suit your needs, in my opinion would require:

1) Larger fans, preferably 120mm or larger, for more effective cooling, and running quiet
2) Fan duct or vent on the top of case, to vent hot air out, instead of venting throught the PSU.
3) Having adequate air space around the video and the cpu, for good air flow and no dead spots around them.
4) A side panel fan is optional, but in my opinion, it is beneficial, as it pushes fresh air directly over the cpu and video cards.

A couple of case suggestions if you plan on getting to 3 Ghz with that setup, would be a good mid-tower case such as the Antec P180/P182 series, Antec 900 series, or possibly even a full tower such as the Thermaltake Kandalf or Armor series of cases that fit the criteria i mentioned above.
!