blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I've been having this problem where the mouse will jump around the screen beyond my control. Usually never when it's stationary, but when I'm trying to move the mouse around it will often jump to the corner of screen. It's been an ongoing problem for several years that has lasted through several reformats and more than one mouse (I think). The frequency of the issue ranges from every couple of minutes to a couple of times a minute. The problem also occurs in games where when you are trying to aim, the cross-hair will jump to the ground or the sky, or in some severe cases, it will jump to the corner and your character is stuck spinning and looking at the ground or sky.

The mouse does not get stuck in the position that it jumps to, it just gets really annoying when you're trying to drag files or something and the mouse repeatedly jumps to the corner of your screen.

I am unsure as to the problem and didn't see any forums about mouse hardware, and figured it was a software problem anyways. I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post in.

I was also unable to find any drivers for my mouse the Logitech UtraX Optical Mouse (did not come with UltraX keyboard). I am not sure if the issue is with the drivers though. I am using whatever mouse drivers are compatible with Windows XP Pro plug-in & play.

My computer specs are as follows (the machine is approx. 7 years old):
AMD Barton 3200 2.4ghz 400fsb
Kingston Tech DDR 2x512mb
ATI Radeon 9600XT 512mb
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

please let me know if you need any other hardware details, I can look them up but that's all I can recite accurately off the top of my head.

blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
That is how the mouse is plugged in. If there are no other drivers available for the mouse. what do you think could be the source of the problem? And is this the correct support forum for trouble-shooting my mouse?

I have the same MB, processor and RAM installed on an old machine. If I remember, the mouse can be a little errtic at times. You might try a USB to PS/2 adapter and try plugging the mouse in through the PS/2 connector. Another solution might be to set the RAMS's CAS LAT to 3 (or 2.5 if that is more stable) in BIOS.

blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

I remember when I first setup the machine I didn't have this problem. Both mouse and keyboard were connected via PS/2. Now just the mouse is USB, so I will give this a shot and let you know how it works. If not I will attempt to adjust the RAM settings. Let you know how everything works.