Dectilon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I use a NEC ND-2500A DVD+RW and I recently bought a bunch of 16x DVD-R. When I try to burn them I get the message "Illegal disc". I don't have a clue as to whether or not it matters what kind of discs you use, but if there is a limitation, is there some way to work around it, some program or such, or is it simply impossible? Is the only choice to get a newer burner (it would still cost less than the discs I bought ~~)?

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
you can burn dvd-r's at 16x otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy 16x dvd-r discs. i would still try a lower speed as suggested otherwise the discs must not be compatible with the drive.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
it is probably the program you are using. however, if you are trying to copy a dvd that has copyright protection on it, the program will probably say illegal process or whatnot because of the drm. nothing wrong with ur burner, just with ur intended use.

It could be perhaps any of the mentioned reasons. Keep in mind that burners are picky about the BRAND of blank media that you use. Just because you have a 16 x burner that theoretically will burn + or - media at 16x does NOT mean it will work with all brands or all + media or all - media at 16x (or any x, though slowing the speed sometimes works). If one fails simply try another. You might also contact the mfg. of your burner and chk with them as to the approved media.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Dude, try updating your firmware. Also if you are trying to burn movies you can't do that because they are copyrighted and that is illegal.

However, it is ambiguous as to what exactly is meant by that. I am not sure if that means that the disk isn't recognized but that is unlikely usually it would show only options like 2-4x rather than 8 or 16x.

So the likely issue is what you are trying to copy. However, to get the maximum media support you need to update the firmware of your burner.

Also if you are using VISTA as your OS it is full of DRM (digital rights management), therefore, that could also be what is giving you this message. You should scour the net for your answer.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

Um.. I was talking to the OP. Dectilon has an 8x burner, he can only burn at 8x. When I said "you" I was referring to him, not the whole world. Jebus....