notebook harddrive anti-shock

tsubasa23

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Hi,

a lot of notebook has hd anti-shock technology where it will pull out the read/write heads when it senses movement. is this tech part of HD? or is the sensor somewhere else(or both).

i own an fujitsu A6020 and wanting to replace my notebook hd for a faster/bigger one. i am wondering where i will lose this features if i replace it?

thanks in advance

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
IBM ThinkPads where I work have have a G-force sensor in them. As best I understand the technology when the drive senses acceleration above an acceptable level it parks the HD heads and braces for an impact. Just having one bouncing around on your lap is sometimes enough to cause this behavior. I believe with the ThinkPads there are various levels... in normal state a HD icon in the lower right corner is green. Give it a little shake and it turns yellow. I'm fairly certain that if it's dropped it'll turn red and do everything necessary to brace for that impact. Pretty smart what machines can do.

As best I can tell from these IBMs, it has nothing to do with the drive... in fact, I'm almost certain of this. Our ThinkPads here contain a variety of hard drives, yet they all have this functionality. I just don't think the various HD manufacturers would build what is essentially a custom hard drive for a limited number of manufacturers. I think you should be safe with a replacement drive, but I recommend a call your laptop's manufacturer to verify this.

tsubasa23

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
thanks for the quick response.. i also uses thinkpad at work too.. my feeling is it has nothing to do with HD as well..