Diamond X1950Pro 512Mb boot problem

Hi,

I recently installed a new Diamond X1950Pro 512Mb PCI-e card and getting a boot problem. The screen would cycle white, red, green, blue, black, white etc.

This would go on for a while and then the Window XP would start. This was on first installation and driver install. I have booted the machine one or two times after that for driver update with the cycle effect and then to the desktop. I was curious about this since I have never seen this before in the past when I upgraded video cards. Now my machine does not show the XP screen although I still heard the odd sound to suggest the boot is still proceeding and I should be in the desktop but I still see the color cycle. The machine status light does not indicate there is any problem. I do not get any no video signal error from the screen.

So could this be a problem due to a low power supply to the card ? My PSU is below the recommended requirement but since I have no extra components and the extreme power calculator shows I would only be using about 277W I though it would be okay. I want to make sure it is just a power supply problem rather than the card.

If it is the PSU, can any one recommend a decent one ? The manual suggest a +12V with 30A but most of the one I looked does not have this on the +12V rail. My budget is limited and I cannot afford to spend $200CA on a PSU. I have seen some in the 550W range that supplies +12V on 15A to 20A. Would these be sufficient ?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about diamond x1950pro 512mb boot problem
  1. what exactly is your current psu?
  2. It is the default Dell E521 PSU so it is well below the recommended level. What good PSU are there below $100CA ?
  3. Check to see if a ATX style psu will fit in your case, you may have to do some surfing, or look here in the forums, I think theres a Dell section. If so, get something that puts out at least 19 amps PER rail on the 12 volt rails, meaning thered be 2 rails at 19 amps each. The enermax Noisetaker 425 is good.Make sure its version 2.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Diamond Boot Graphics