Question about menus

I'm using a WinXP system, with an odd selection of stuff -- Word97 (I like
it best), along with the most recent OE and IE. I have Office 97 installed.

I have lots of other stuff installed, but I don't use most of it very often.
I wonder if there is some sort of menu program that I can use to call up
only the most used software -- the stuff mentioned above.

Any ideas? Am I giving enough information? Thanks.

Malke

Jeff Needle wrote:

> I'm using a WinXP system, with an odd selection of stuff -- Word97 (I
> like
> it best), along with the most recent OE and IE. I have Office 97
> installed.
>
> I have lots of other stuff installed, but I don't use most of it very
> often. I wonder if there is some sort of menu program that I can use
> to call up only the most used software -- the stuff mentioned above.
>
> Any ideas? Am I giving enough information? Thanks.

Well, you can pin programs to the top of your Start list for the most
commonly used ones. You can also organize your Programs menu into
folders. Right-click the Start button and choose Explore and you'll get
a two-paned Explorer windows. You can create new folders and drag the
icons for programs into them. For instance, you might create a program
called Old Graphics Stuff and put all the shortcuts to graphics
programs you rarely use in there. That sort of thing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Needle wrote:
>
>> I'm using a WinXP system, with an odd selection of stuff -- Word97 (I
>> like
>> it best), along with the most recent OE and IE. I have Office 97
>> installed.
>>
>> I have lots of other stuff installed, but I don't use most of it very
>> often. I wonder if there is some sort of menu program that I can use
>> to call up only the most used software -- the stuff mentioned above.
>>
>> Any ideas? Am I giving enough information? Thanks.
>
> Well, you can pin programs to the top of your Start list for the most
> commonly used ones. You can also organize your Programs menu into
> folders. Right-click the Start button and choose Explore and you'll get
> a two-paned Explorer windows. You can create new folders and drag the
> icons for programs into them. For instance, you might create a program
> called Old Graphics Stuff and put all the shortcuts to graphics
> programs you rarely use in there. That sort of thing.
>
> Malke
> --

Thanks for this! I didn't know I could do this. It could be the answer.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:19:16 -0700, Jeff Needle wrote:

> I'm using a WinXP system, with an odd selection of stuff -- Word97 (I like
> it best), along with the most recent OE and IE. I have Office 97 installed.
>
> I have lots of other stuff installed, but I don't use most of it very often.
> I wonder if there is some sort of menu program that I can use to call up
> only the most used software -- the stuff mentioned above.
>
> Any ideas? Am I giving enough information? Thanks.

The first portion of the XP Style start menu is for "most frequently used
programs." You can tweak this area a bit to make it more useful:
-Set it to use small icons instead of large: Taskbar/Start Menu properties>
Start Menu> Customize. Check box for small icons. Right below that, bump
the number of programs up to about 13 or 14. You will get about 12 programs
displayed with a couple "in the wings."

How often you start a program *from its start menu shortcut* is tallied and
the X number of most often used programs will appear on that first start
menu panel.

NOTE: Some programs seem to pad the tally in their favor and will shoot up
on your list rather quickly. If this happens, or if any program that you
don't want on this list shows up, just right click on its name and select
Remove from this list. When you "remove," the program's shortcut will still
be in the start menu. It just won't be listed on that first start panel.

Alternatively, customize your Quick Launch toolbar by adding shortcuts for
your favorite programs.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:19:16 -0700, Jeff Needle wrote:
>
>> I'm using a WinXP system, with an odd selection of stuff -- Word97 (I
>> like
>> it best), along with the most recent OE and IE. I have Office 97
>> installed.
>>
>> I have lots of other stuff installed, but I don't use most of it very
>> often.
>> I wonder if there is some sort of menu program that I can use to call up
>> only the most used software -- the stuff mentioned above.
>>
>> Any ideas? Am I giving enough information? Thanks.
>
> The first portion of the XP Style start menu is for "most frequently used
> programs." You can tweak this area a bit to make it more useful:
> -Set it to use small icons instead of large: Taskbar/Start Menu
> properties>
> Start Menu> Customize. Check box for small icons. Right below that, bump
> the number of programs up to about 13 or 14. You will get about 12
> programs
> displayed with a couple "in the wings."
>
> How often you start a program *from its start menu shortcut* is tallied
> and
> the X number of most often used programs will appear on that first start
> menu panel.
>
> NOTE: Some programs seem to pad the tally in their favor and will shoot up
> on your list rather quickly. If this happens, or if any program that you
> don't want on this list shows up, just right click on its name and select
> Remove from this list. When you "remove," the program's shortcut will
> still
> be in the start menu. It just won't be listed on that first start panel.
>
> Alternatively, customize your Quick Launch toolbar by adding shortcuts for
> your favorite programs.
>
> --

More great information. Thanks for it. I'm going to try these things and
see if I can get it to where I want it.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:15:57 -0700, Jeff Needle wrote:

> More great information. Thanks for it. I'm going to try these things and
> see if I can get it to where I want it.

You're welcome, Jeff. Enjoy!

--
Sharon F