Solved

Start up help

Alright so I've got windows xp sp2 and it starts to start up the computer when all of a sudden this screen comes up saying

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS2\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

is there something I can do about it please help me if you can. I appreciate it.
38 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about start help
  1. Boot off your OS disc. At the first set of options, hit enter to choose your partition. At the second screen, use the R option to repair your install.
  2. I'm sorry but by os do you mean original start up or what?
  3. Sorry. By OS, I mean Operating System. Your OS disc = your version of windows install disc.
  4. Alright that is kind of what I meant and I tried that but it just said cannot proceed with this because windows system is already on your computer.
  5. That sounds like a windows message. You'll want to boot off the disc. To do this:

    Restart and enter the BIOS (tap delete key on startup)
    Change the first boot device to be your cd or dvd drive
    Press f10 to save and exit
    When it restarts, you should see a message to 'press any key'.....press a key at this time
    You will boot up to a blue screen
    Follow the steps listed in my first post to repair the install
  6. alright then it brings me to the recovery console which I've already seen and tried but i dont really know what to do on this
  7. If you're in the recovery console, you used the first R option. Instead of using R, at that menu, hit enter to continue. Then accept the license agreement. Then you'll see a screen listing your partition, with an R option. That's where you want to use the R option to repair your install.

    Here's a good guide. Look at the screen shots near the bottom of the page.
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
  8. Alright went to that site and my computer did not give me the option to do a fresh re-install or a repair more twords the bottom of the page where it says I can, my computer says Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD. but it is a valid one and this is really irritating me. I bought a new graphics card for it about a month before it started this and I cant really just go out and buy a new comp because I'm 16 and I dont have the money or a job, maybe getting the job soon though.
  9. It's not a manufacturer's (Dell, HP, Gateway...etc) recovery disc is it?
  10. Could have him go into recovery console (since he's been there already)... run bootcfg /rebuild to add in the repair option... if that's what's happening.
  11. The disc is a Windows xp Home Edition sp2 is that now what I should be putting in, I also have recovery discs for the computer but they do not work because there was someone who repaired the computer and there is different recovery discs for the computer but I have no idea were those are. I'm guessing those are the only hope I have for my computer?
  12. The retail XP disc should work.

    The bootcfg command will just rebuild the boot.ini file. It won't repair the system file.

    Here's a guide to fix the file from the repair console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
  13. aford10 said:
    The retail XP disc should work.

    The bootcfg command will just rebuild the boot.ini file. It won't repair the system file.

    Here's a guide to fix the file from the repair console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

    Ok this is not making sense when I get to here
    Part two
    To complete the procedure described in this section, you must be logged on as an administrator, or an administrative user (a user who has an account in the Administrators group). If you are using Windows XP Home Edition, you can log on as an administrative user. If you log on as an administrator, you must first start Windows XP Home Edition in Safe mode. To start the Windows XP Home Edition computer in Safe mode, follow these steps.

    Note Print these instructions before you continue. You cannot view these instructions after you restart the computer in Safe Mode. If you use the NTFS file system, also print the instructions from Knowledge Base article KB309531. Step 7 contains a reference to the article.

    1. Click Start, click Shut Down (or click Turn Off Computer), click Restart, and then click OK (or click Restart).
    2. Press the F8 key. it is telling me to start my computer. but I cannot which is why I am doing this. I am so confused.
  14. Part 1 is copying the files off of the disc. Part 2 is repairing your registry.

    After part 1 is done, you should be able to boot into safe mode. That's where you'll log on as the administrator, and proceed on.
  15. aford10 said:
    Part 1 is copying the files off of the disc. Part 2 is repairing your registry.

    After part 1 is done, you should be able to boot into safe mode. That's where you'll log on as the administrator, and proceed on.


    It is not letting me into safemode.
  16. Where is it stopping?
  17. aford10 said:
    Where is it stopping?

    right where it did before where it says that one file is corrupt or missing.
  18. It sounds like step 1 didn't complete correctly. Did you get any errors on step 1?
  19. aford10 said:
    It sounds like step 1 didn't complete correctly. Did you get any errors on step 1?


    no but I will retry it since i have multiple things i can do it in.
  20. I re-tried it multiple times and it is not working and I know I did it right the first time.
  21. If it's not going to copy the files, then you can try doing a system restore through the repair console. Check out the second solution to guide you through the restore.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/555547-windows-system32-config-system-missing.html
  22. aford10 said:
    If it's not going to copy the files, then you can try doing a system restore through the repair console. Check out the second solution to guide you through the restore.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/555547-windows-system32-config-system-missing.html


    alright when I type CD C:\system~1\_resto~1
    Access is denied why is this, it did not tell me to enter a password.
  23. Try typing these commands in the repair console.

    set AllowWildCards = true
    set AllowAllPaths = true
    set allowremovablemedia = true
    set NoCopyPrompt = true
  24. aford10 said:
    Try typing these commands in the repair console.

    set AllowWildCards = true
    set AllowAllPaths = true
    set allowremovablemedia = true
    set NoCopyPrompt = true


    Ok those were very helpfull but now im stuck at this part
    C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23\snapshot>copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system (read below3)
    i dont get what it means by read below 3, sorry im stupid
  25. It's just saying, that command line should bring up a message prompt, asking if you want to overwrite the system or not (the next line). I think the 3 was a typeO.
  26. Well this is a downer, it still did not let me get onto windows like it said it would on that site, and I cannot do the third option because I am talking to you on a Laptop that is using vista.
  27. I'm not sure what else can be done to repair that hard drive. I'm starting to think the issue may be the hard drive itself. If I were you, my next step would be to replace the hard drive. After that, you can use a few different methods to try and recover some of the data on the hard drive.
  28. aford10 said:
    I'm not sure what else can be done to repair that hard drive. I'm starting to think the issue may be the hard drive itself. If I were you, my next step would be to replace the hard drive. After that, you can use a few different methods to try and recover some of the data on the hard drive.


    how much does one cost?
  29. Best answer
    They can be anywhere from ~$40 - $200. It all depends on what you want.

    This samsung is one of the best price/performance drives available. It's out of stock at the moment on newegg, but there are other sites you can order from.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&cm_re=spinpoint_f3-_-22-152-181-_-Product
  30. aford10 said:
    They can be anywhere from ~$40 - $200. It all depends on what you want.

    This samsung is one of the best price/performance drives available. It's out of stock at the moment on newegg, but there are other sites you can order from.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&cm_re=spinpoint_f3-_-22-152-181-_-Product


    yes like tiger direct and such.
  31. aford10 said:
    They can be anywhere from ~$40 - $200. It all depends on what you want.

    This samsung is one of the best price/performance drives available. It's out of stock at the moment on newegg, but there are other sites you can order from.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&cm_re=spinpoint_f3-_-22-152-181-_-Product

    well thank you so much for the help even thought it did not work.
  32. You're welcome. Wish I could've been more help with your current drive. I'm just not sure what else to suggest.

    Good luck.
  33. aford10 said:
    You're welcome. Wish I could've been more help with your current drive. I'm just not sure what else to suggest.

    Good luck.


    I know, I wish you could have too, if you figure anything else out send me a message.
  34. aford10 said:
    You're welcome. Wish I could've been more help with your current drive. I'm just not sure what else to suggest.

    Good luck.


    oh hey also with a new harddrive I would have to re-install everything I have wouldnt I, so like a new windows and all.
  35. Yes, you'll have to reinstall everything from scratch. Since you already had a legal copy of windows installed on the other drive, you can use that same license key to install windows again.

    Once you have the new hard drive installed and running, you can slave drive the current hard drive, and try to access the data on it.
  36. aford10 said:
    Yes, you'll have to reinstall everything from scratch. Since you already had a legal copy of windows installed on the other drive, you can use that same license key to install windows again.

    Once you have the new hard drive installed and running, you can slave drive the current hard drive, and try to access the data on it.

    alright. haha it might be better to just re-install things, there was alot of random stuff on my current one. If i get the chance i may order that one you linked to me.
  37. If you need anything else, just let us know....
  38. Best answer selected by Cxp83.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows XP Product