Is it my power supply?

morganpatrick

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Hello,

I have an HP desktop that dual boots in XP and Ubuntu. Some months back I fried my power supply and took my pc to a computer repair shop, who ordered and installed a new HP power supply.

At first I didn't see anything wrong with my computer. Then the front face, upon which a numer of usb and phone jacks are located, stopped working in XP and Ubuntu. Then it started taking forever during startup for my screen to go from BIOS to GRUB loader. Then whenever I left my computer booted in XP, I would come back to it and wake it up from its screen saver, and shortly thereafter my cursor would just lock up and my internal tower speaker held a constant beep, like a flatline, so i had to hard reboot.

In Ubuntu my ethernet card stopped working. And in both OS's the sound card stopped working. At this point it was finally clear to me that my computer was completely messed up and I probably zapped everything in my tower one after another. I'm hoping this isn't the case, though. Someone told me that it's possible my tower isn't getting enough power from the power supply and this is why different cards aren't working. What is the most likely scenario based on what i've described, and what can I do to fix this problem?

Many thanks,
Morgan

morganpatrick

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
nothing? I just need to know: is everything failing because of the power supply? IF so, is it too high or too low? faulty? can i manually adjust the strength? am i not providing enough information?