Could use a bit of clarification....

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Hi, I'm looking at this power supply: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974309&CatId=1483

Now I found this review: http://www.modders-inc.com/reviews-story--1.html

However, the charts aren't the same, and the review shows that the max output of the 2 +12V rails is 420 Watts and the other doesn't say that at all, but I'm going to assume that's its rating. So does this mean that it can output a maximum of 35A on the two rails combined?

I'm looking to buy an 8800 GTS 640MB, which says the minimum requirements is 26A on the +12V rails. Clearly 35A is enough, but each rail is only 20A and 18A on their own. So does that mean combined on those rails or on a single rail (I thought ATX standards set a max of 20A on a single rail). And 26A for a videocard seems a bit excessive?

If it can use the Amperes on multiple rails, how do I make sure that I'm using a line from different rails, short of opening the damn thing? lol. I think I read that the 640 only requires 1 6pin power cable, or 2 4pin. I'm guessing the 6pin is used for single rail power supplies (which, by my understanding, don't meet ATX standards) and the 2 4 pins are meant for dual rail power supplies. Thanks in advance.

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
i have a 640mb 8800gts and it has a 6 pin power thingee. if you are going to use this for gaming or anything heavy I think you should get a psu with a little more wattage. my psu is 700w and it wasnt that expensive after the rebates($110ish). at least go with a 500w or higher. you shouldnt have to worry about anything else.

For the PSU requirements: They want 26 amps on the COMBINED +12v rails, so yes 35 is plenty. Also, the 26amps that they list is for the total system, not just the GPU. I'm not sure how all the internal workings of a PSU go, but as long as you place it in the PCI-E slot and connect the 6-pin power connector you will be fine.