mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I almost went mad because I couldnt play my games. I was playing OOTP Baseball 2007 which doesnt use a disc (digital download). After a hour on it, I went to Simcity4000 RH but the DVD drive light wasnt on, and no spinning was heard ( I already had the disc in their). Their was power because I could open and close the drive. I got a message after 30sec after I double clicked Simcity4000RH on my desktop saying "Please insert Simcity4000 into d:". I went to device manager and their was no exclamation point but when I clicked on the DVDRW it said IO DEVICE ERROR. I checked the PSU power plug and the mobo connection and everything was snug. I only have one DVDRW drive (no multiple drives). I turned off my system went to bed and this afternoon I turned on my system and everything is ok....the drive is reading again. I didnt loose a tooth so the tooth fairy didnt fix it. Anyone had this problem know what it is? I googled IO device error and people had issues with Plextor, Sony, and a few others but LiteON wasnt mentioned. I even did a search for LITE ON IO device errors but nothing surfaced. The people who had Plextor and SOny said they either uninstalled and reinstalled their drive and a few said its a sign of the DVDRW dying. This was the first time I had trouble with this 1 year old drive and I dont put it through stress. Could heat in my system cause this? My video card was running at 50c and my system temps on my bios screen was in the low-upper 30's. I had my system on for a few hours.

System specs: E6300, Gigabyte DS3, LIteON x16 DVDRW DL with Lightscribe, SB X-FI XM, Saphire x1900xtx, 2 WD SATAII 250GB hard drives, 19" Viewsonic VX922 LCD, Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T case with 2 super large fans (one in front and 1 on the left side of it (looking at the DVD drive).

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Could be caused by alot of factors but is more than likely the drive getting ready to fail. Could also be a bad cable, if you reboot and the problem fixes itself I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if it continues you might want to replace the drive. Also you might want to update the firmware for the drive (this I have found usually dons't do anything unless ther is a known issue with your drive's firmware).

Also heat should not cause this issue unless your drive's internal temp is high, your temps seem normal though.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Good point. You said that ootp baseball 07 was a download game and they might put some type of copy protection in it like starforce. Or might use some kind of CD/DVD virtual drive type of software. These types of copy protection software can cause issues with optical drives since they use a special driver wich might interfere with you optical drive drivers.