Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading to Windows 7 Professional

Last response: in Windows XP
January 13, 2010 12:12:06 AM

Ok this is a pretty complicated question. I just built my first computer and I dont have an OS yet. I do have 2 copies on Win XP Home Edition that I found that I may or may not have installed yet. Now I'm also a college student and I was going to buy the Win 7 Professional Upgrade online from digital river or something. It comes with a download for your computer and a disk kit for 13 dollars more that they ship to you. Thing is, this will be a CLEAN INSTALL on a brand new terabyte harddrive. I have read about people doing clean installs with the DISK of Win 7 Upgrade Media, but it seems too complicated. I also know that the best way to upgrade Win XP to Win 7 was to do a clean install and backup your files, yada yada yada. But Im not going to have anything stored on Win XP.

Simply put, I want to install Win XP Home Edition, connect to the internet, download the Win 7 upgrade media. And install that. Comprende?

Can I do that??

P.S. I need Win 7 because I have a blazing fast quad-core gaming computer with a ATI 5870, which is a DX11 card and I want support for that aswell. And XP is starting to disapear.

Best solution

January 13, 2010 6:30:42 PM

Install home, download, burn cd, do clean install of Win 7.

If you can download win7 on another computer you can do a clean install of it without a previous os.
Install win7 WITHOUT putting the product key in. let it boot into windows but dont activate or do anything else. Reboot to the install cd. Win 7 will see the previous install of Win 7 as a qualifying upgrade route, whereby you can reinstall win 7, enter product key this time and activate.

Works, did it with utlimate 7 after a botched clean install.
January 14, 2010 12:09:33 AM

Can I install XP, download win 7 pro right then and there on that computer and then clean install all on that same computer? Or do I have to wait for the disk to come and do it that way. It says XP is eligible to upgrade. So they must be assuming that college students dont have 2 computers, just 1. So they made it simpler.
m
l
January 24, 2010 12:26:08 AM

Best answer selected by solidsteel.
m
l
!