Solved

Upgrading to Windows 7 Professional

Ok this is a pretty complicated question. I just built my first computer and I dont have an OS yet. I do have 2 copies on Win XP Home Edition that I found that I may or may not have installed yet. Now I'm also a college student and I was going to buy the Win 7 Professional Upgrade online from digital river or something. It comes with a download for your computer and a disk kit for 13 dollars more that they ship to you. Thing is, this will be a CLEAN INSTALL on a brand new terabyte harddrive. I have read about people doing clean installs with the DISK of Win 7 Upgrade Media, but it seems too complicated. I also know that the best way to upgrade Win XP to Win 7 was to do a clean install and backup your files, yada yada yada. But Im not going to have anything stored on Win XP.

Simply put, I want to install Win XP Home Edition, connect to the internet, download the Win 7 upgrade media. And install that. Comprende?

Can I do that??

P.S. I need Win 7 because I have a blazing fast quad-core gaming computer with a ATI 5870, which is a DX11 card and I want support for that aswell. And XP is starting to disapear.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading windows professional
  1. Best answer
    Install home, download, burn cd, do clean install of Win 7.

If you can download win7 on another computer you can do a clean install of it without a previous os.
    Install win7 WITHOUT putting the product key in. let it boot into windows but dont activate or do anything else. Reboot to the install cd. Win 7 will see the previous install of Win 7 as a qualifying upgrade route, whereby you can reinstall win 7, enter product key this time and activate.

Works, did it with utlimate 7 after a botched clean install.
  2. Can I install XP, download win 7 pro right then and there on that computer and then clean install all on that same computer? Or do I have to wait for the disk to come and do it that way. It says XP is eligible to upgrade. So they must be assuming that college students dont have 2 computers, just 1. So they made it simpler.
  3. Best answer selected by solidsteel.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows XP