Another new system

gti69

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Hi everyone. This will be my first time building and speccing a pc but I have reasonable knowledge of hardware. What I'm looking for is comments on price and choice, wether I can get a better component for slightly more or if there's a pre-built system from a company thats better etc.
It will be mainly for games and hardware not listed will be things I have already, I'm getting everything from ebuyer.

MOBO: Asus COMMANDO P965 Socket 775 Onboard Audio ATX £127
PRO: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor £138
GFX: EVGA 8800GTS SuperClocked 320MB DDR3 DVI PCI-E £195
PSU: 550W ATX Silent Neon £20
MON: Viewsonic VX922 19" £154

Haven't decided on a case yet, don't want to spend more then £50 on one, I would like a cool looking one but I won't have loads of HD's or do any extreme OC'ing.

So far that's £645 inc VAT without the £50 or so for a case and shipping. Any help much appreciated

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
First, why are you buying such an expensive mobo? Second of all, don't get the Superclocked version of the GTS, get the regular GTS and overclock yourself if you need to, you're paying more for something you can do yourself with ease within 5minutes.

If it has to be from ebuyer, then this would be better.

ABIT AB9 Pro iP965 Socket775 onboard audio ATX

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/116163

And that PSU is a cheap system-frying POS, you need a decent PSU to power a nice system, PSU is the last thing you should skimp on, your PC requires for at least a $100+ PSU from known brands like Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, etc...

gti69

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of the commando mobo because of the good reviews amd at some point in the future i could upgrade to a quad core processor when they become useful.
Thanks for the tip on the gfx card, i didn't realise there were standard and OC'd versions.
I was going on the good reviews for the psu and the fact i was trying to keep cost down, if its that bad do you have a specid psu in mind or just a brand name one?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Antec NeoHE 500/550 (I power my system with the 500W version, similar system, check my hardware configuration), Seasonic S12 550W, Corsair HX 520W. Those are really my favorites out of the bunch.

Remember that the PSU is the heart and soul of the PC, it HAS to function properly in order for everything else to do so :)

gti69

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to buy a decent PSU.

Are you happy with your GTS? for the 200 odd pounds there going for I was even thinking 2 Radeon 1950xt's in crossfire mode as there only 100 pounds each but I can't find performance figures to compare and I wondered if the dx10 support of the GTS would make a significant difference when dx10 games are out.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Well I don't know about DX10 (I didn't buy it because of DX10, I bought because it's a freaking fast DX9'er)

My baby arrived yesterday and so far I've thrown Lost Planet, STALKER, Command and Conquer 3, and Call of Juarez all maxed out at 12x10 (Except on Lost Planet's shadows, that's at medium since there's no difference between medium and high) and let me tell you, my only regret is not to have bought this baby when it first came out in february.