Question about MemTest

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I have memtest running and I have 2 sticks of ddr2-675 going thru memtest. How long does memtest go, am I suppose to stop it? So far the sticks passed 3 tests and no failures. Its been running for 2 1/2 hours and I was wondering when I can stop the test and put in the stick I believe is bad or do I let memtest run and it will tell me when its done.Thanx.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thank you. It was at 5 passes when I stopped it. I purposley left out the bad sticks (at least i think it is). The 2 sticks in passed x5. I am going to put the one that I think is bad later tonite. Thank you.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
If one the first 15 mins you already got errors then usually it's a 50% chance that there's a part of the stick that's bad. Try changing slots, or clean the dimm slots first, then change slots. Re-run the test if it's still bad then it usually is already bad. Either RMA it or make it a paper weight. Those might just give you problems later.

I hear people recommend it to run at around 24 hours. If it passes that then 99.99% chance that it is 100% good. Though 8 hours for me is already long enough.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I put the stick that I thought was malfunctioning. I put it through memtest and about 3min 48sec into the test I saw Unexpected Interrupt/Halting. The time stopped and though the whole screen was a bunch of numbers and it said stack/pc/cs/eflag/code. It looks like it didnt finish the test because it didnt say fail but memtest froze (except for the red arrow at the very top lef tof the screen). When I pressed escape, memtest was exited but my system wasnt booting. I put back my sticks that passes memtest and everthing is fine now.....Is the stick that got the unexpected interupt halt faulty?

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
You might also want to run a stress test like Prime95 once you have gotten your system to pass the Memtest86. You can stress the CPU and memory in different combinations. Good for heat tests (100% CPU utilization) and memory tests.

Regards,

Altazi

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
FWIW, I had a system that was running fine. I opened the case to check into adding some additional USB2.0 ports, and closed it up. That action was somehow enough to disturb one of my memory sticks. The system started acting funny, so I ran Memtest86. Sure enough, I had a "bad" memory stick. I tested the system with each stick individually, and it passed. Finally, I put all of the memory back in, and it passed. (!!!) I can only conclude that the act of re-seatching the DIMMs fixed whatever connection problem had occurred. The system has been running fine for weeks since.

Altazi

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Ive cleaned the contacts on all the sticks and re-seated them. The sticks that I thought were working passed more than 5 tests on memtest. I took them out and put the questionable stick in and the error message mentioned in my last reply happened. I took it out made sure there was no dust and dirt and put it back and again same error happened. When I put the other sticks in my system acted normal, booted normal and went to the desktop.