Sign in with
Your question

Installing XP on a new hard drive

Last response: in Storage
August 4, 2007 2:26:47 PM

My current installation of XP is on a 80GB UATA HD. I want to add a 300GB SATA HD and install XP on that one and use it as the master drive. I want to use my 80GB as the slave and for data storage (delete the current XP installation without formating). Is it possible to have both SATA and UATA drives running simultaneously without any performance issues?

More about : installing hard drive

August 4, 2007 9:31:01 PM

Yes you can run both. Make sure you BIOS is set up to read the 320 as the first drive and the boot drive and then it's set up to see both types of drive. Do not put the 80GB in until you've installed XP on it or the OS will likely end up on something other than the C drive. Would probably be a good idea to copy your data over to the 320 then format the 80, best way to uninstall Windows. If you don't want to do a clean install of XP, could get something like Acronis True Image and clone the 80 to the 320.
August 5, 2007 3:42:50 AM

Thanks for the reply! If I connect both, will the slower UATA drag down the speed of the faster SATA?
Related resources
August 5, 2007 1:29:28 PM

Indijones said:
Thanks for the reply! If I connect both, will the slower UATA drag down the speed of the faster SATA?

Using the ATA strictly for storage shouldn't noticeably affect the speed. However, I would partition the 320 allocating about 30 to 35GB to the C drive for the OS/programs and the remainder for storage. This way when you have to reinstall the OS you don't have to worry about backing up data. The 80 would become a true back up drive. But again do not install the 80GB until Windows has been installed
August 5, 2007 5:44:37 PM

Thanks!
August 5, 2007 6:47:27 PM

Glad it helped. Let us know if you need anything else
!