Solved

Better to go with i5 or i7 for video editing?

Choosing between an Intel Core i5-2400 Processor (3.10GHz), with a Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card with 512 MB DDR3 dedicated memory,

and an Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor (2.4 GHz), with a Mobile Intel® HD graphics with 64MB-1696MB shared graphics memory,

Which is better for video/photo editing?

The i5 with its 3.10GHz and dedicated graphics card, or the i7 (2.4 GHz) with its hyper-threading capabilities (and integrated graphics card).

The i5 is a desktop, the i7 is a laptop. I will gladly trade mobility for a better graphic editing set up. Both have 6GB memory.
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about better video editing
  1. There will not be a big difference, I would go with i7 (2.4 GHz) for its hyper-threading capabilities.


    But its not apple and apple compare here.
  2. BTW, what is the pricing on that?
  3. nikorr said:
    There will not be a big difference, I would go with i7 (2.4 GHz) for its hyper-threading capabilities.


    But its not apple and apple compare here.


    Thank you for your response!

    Do you know what the different Ghz indicate? (2.4 vs 3.1) I'm assuming that the 3.1 is faster? I've been doing some looking, and the reviews I've seen talk about a 2.8GHz speed for the i7, so I'm concerned that the 2.4 will be a problem with the i7.

    Also, I know that a dedicated graphics card is better than an integrated one. Since the integrated card is on the laptop, I won't be able to change that.

    The price for the i5 (HP Pavilion Slimline) is $799.99; the price for the i7 (Toshiba Satellite) is $649 (on sale). I've been told that Toshiba's quality has improved.
  4. ellindale said:
    Thank you for your response!

    Do you know what the different Ghz indicate? (2.4 vs 3.1) I'm assuming that the 3.1 is faster? I've been doing some looking, and the reviews I've seen talk about a 2.8GHz speed for the i7, so I'm concerned that the 2.4 will be a problem with the i7.

    Also, I know that a dedicated graphics card is better than an integrated one. Since the integrated card is on the laptop, I won't be able to change that.

    The price for the i5 (HP Pavilion Slimline) is $799.99; the price for the i7 (Toshiba Satellite) is $649 (on sale). I've been told that Toshiba's quality has improved.

    OK, couple of the questions...

    Are u gonna use it to game?

    Do u really need a laptop?

    Desktop would be much better for video editing. But without the mobility.
  5. Can u change car tire and air filter and follow exact directions when assembling few parts together?

    Than u could do much better than both of those choices!
  6. And if u are not up to it, post a link to your configurations and we can check for faster but same price or cheaper or better deal!
  7. nikorr said:
    Can u change car tire and air filter and follow exact directions when assembling few parts together?

    Than u could do much better than both of those choices!



    I could, but would rather not, unless the price difference was significant, or the end result really worth it. I've not put a computer together, though I know people who have.
  8. ellindale said:
    I could, but would rather not, unless the price difference was significant, or the end result really worth it. I've not put a computer together, though I know people who have.

    U could gain as much as 40% power and speed encode time cut by 40% as well.
  9. nikorr said:
    OK, couple of the questions...

    Are u gonna use it to game?

    Do u really need a laptop?

    Desktop would be much better for video editing. But without the mobility.



    The only game I'm likely to play is Sims2 (and maybe Sims3), and solitaire.

    It would be nice to have the portability of the laptop, but not necessary. I've discovered that when I travel someone has a computer if I really need to use one. My biggest concern with the laptop and video editing is that laptops run hotter, esp. with video editing. (this is a big problem with my current laptop)
  10. nikorr said:
    U could gain as much as 40% power and speed encode time cut by 40% as well.



    Are you talking about getting parts from an online store and building one?
  11. ellindale said:
    Are you talking about getting parts from an online store and building one?

    Yes, probably 90% of the people on Tom's HW have home build computers.

    Its easy, its like LEGO or puzzles : )
  12. The advantage is -- its faster and/or cheaper and u can use quality parts and learn about PC, that is always handy.
  13. nikorr said:
    The advantage is -- its faster and/or cheaper and u can use quality parts and learn about PC, that is always handy.



    I just discovered this place today when I was searching for an answer to my question.
  14. ellindale said:
    I just discovered this place today when I was searching for an answer to my question.

    Well, its right place all right...

    I don't want to confuse u.

    Its like this.

    If u build it by yourself, u will get more for your money, but u need to know some about PC'c.

    If u will buy an "all put together system", u don't need to know much about it.

    If u will tell as your budget, we can find u exactly what u need.
  15. BW, do u need monitor or mouse and keyboard?
  16. nikorr said:
    Well, its right place all right...

    I don't want to confuse u.

    Its like this.

    If u build it by yourself, u will get more for your money, but u need to know some about PC'c.

    If u will buy an "all put together system", u don't need to know much about it.

    If u will tell as your budget, we can find u exactly what u need.



    I will need a monitor, and probably a keyboard (though I've probably got one around here that would work), but I won't need a mouse. I could go as high as $800 for the tower, but then I would have to get a less expensive monitor.
  17. Best answer
    you should not get a laptop for your professional video editing. its really important that you get a desktop because it will run cooler, faster, and you will have access to much better hardware. You also have more control and more options.

    you can set up faster hard drive storage combinations

    you can buy better processors

    you can fit more ram

    you can get better dedicated video cards.

    the list goes on.
  18. The desktop will give you better performance, especially if you build it or have it built by a local or online store ( not a prebuilt from dell or hp etc) for the price and the bigger thing is it is also upgradable making it a much better investment.
  19. What software will you be using for editing?
  20. As someone who edits video as a hobby using Premiere Pro CS6 I agree that a custom build is the way to go. Some cases on the off the shelf computers are not great if you decide to upgrade later. I had a prebuilt HP and it was a nightmare to upgrade. A second (scratch) drive for video files is recommended as well. Personally, I like to know the components inside.
  21. I'm pretty sure the desktop i5 would render stuff twice as fast as the laptop: My friend has exact same CPU in his laptop, and with intel burn test he gets ~30 GFlops, as I with my 2500k @ stock setting without turbo enabled (3.3 GHz) get 75 GFlops.
  22. Looks like someone has resurrected an older thread, but if anyone is looking to build an editing rig;

    I'd comment that Premiere CS6 and the other current/new professional NLEs run in 64bit and take advantage of hyper-threading.
    When comparing CPUs, be sure to compare the number of processors and cores.
    Also note that the bulk of video rendering will be done on the GPU(s), so don't go crazy over the CPU(s) at the expense of your GPU(s).
  23. ellindale said:
    The only game I'm likely to play is Sims2 (and maybe Sims3), and solitaire.

    It would be nice to have the portability of the laptop, but not necessary. I've discovered that when I travel someone has a computer if I really need to use one. My biggest concern with the laptop and video editing is that laptops run hotter, esp. with video editing. (this is a big problem with my current laptop)


    Hi - if it matters - I went to a PC from my laptop just for photo editing(albeit large files) as the laptop got too hot
    after a few min and wouldn't keep up, ie mouse would drag, screen twitch, etc.
    I'd have to let it cool down, then resume. And, screen size isn't really suitable for photo work, so I'm
    with the other posters, build a PC.

    Tom
  24. Best answer selected by ellindale.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Intel i7 Graphics Cards Intel i5 Apps