Should I pick up some new speakers?

1Wolf

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Greetings,

I'm in the process of building a new PC, and now that I have all the parts fleshed out and ordered I was taking a look at what peripherals I'd port over from my old PC, or whether I'd just get new ones.

Its a bit tricky to find reviews comparing a speaker system I bought in 2003 with the new ones that are out now...so I was hoping maybe someone had some insight or advice.

As far as use of the speaker system goes...It will be used for watching DVD's in Surround Sound and for gaming. Alot of folks think I'm nuts because I have a 'decent' surround sound system in my living room, but often actually prefer watching DVD's on the PC. I'm no audiophile....all I can do is go with my 'gut' and it has always seemed to me that the surround sound on my current PC setup works better than my home-theater system. Yes...I know that sounds crazy. For me, I think it has to do with the positioning of the speakers. Sitting in front of my PC seems to have more ideal placement for the speakers...sticking me right in the middle...so I seem to get a niftier surround effect than in my living room.

Anyhow....my current PC Speaker System is a Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 that I bought back in November of 2003. Note...these were purchased back in 2003...they are the "regular" Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 system...not the newer "Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1". Its served me well for many years and seems to still work just fine. I enjoy my games and DVD's on it alot, and have always been real happy with the effect.

The "New" speaker system I was considering was the LogiTech Z-5500 Series (NewEgg has it for around $292). The user-reviews on NewEgg seem to give it high marks.

I'm trying to decide whether it would be worthwhile spending another $292 to pick up a new speaker system...or whether I'd be better off just sticking with my old system. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions....I'd appreciate them!

Thanks!

4745454b

Titan
While I own neither set, I have listened to both at BB/CC. These speaker systems are more or less equals. The 5500 seems to pump out a little more bass, but they both sound quite good. The only real advantage I can see to moving to the 5500, is I think it has more connection options. (for instance, I think it has a fiber optic in jack, so you can hook a home theater DVD player directly.) As long as you're not looking for these extra jacks, spend your $300 elsewhere.

Raz

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Have to agree. If, as you say, you enjoy your gaming and DVDs on it alot and have always been "real happy with the effect", then why blow $300 on only a minor improvement?

Why not put it towards improving the setup in the living room?

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
You already have a set of computer speakers, another is a waste of money. In reference to astrallite's comment I personally have my computer wired up to a stereo receiver with 2 floorstanders with a 12 inch woofer 5 inch mid and 1 inch tweeter. Music sounds great on my end :)

TRENDING THREADS