n00blar

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
I'm about to purchase this motherboard: ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX and I was wondering how good the onboard sound is? I'm a gamer and before I get a sound card I wanted to get some opinions on the onboard audio on this motherboard.

Thanks.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
Are you talking about sound quality or overall effectiveness of the on-board sound?

Although I haven't used that board I would still opt for a stand alone sound card. They are not very expensive. On board sound takes up resources from the rest of the system. The last time I did a test between onboard sound and an add in card I noticed a very significant increase in performance, although it was on an older system. Since that time and with the relatively low cost of a mid range sound card I've never even thought about using onboard sound since.

n00blar

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Yes, sorry. I was talking about sound quality.

I was thinking of doing the same thing - buy a stand alone sound card instead.

Thanks!

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With the new generation of CPU's the diffrence in perfomance between onboard vs sound card optons is virtually nothing. The sound quality is very good as well. A separate sound card is always the preferred optionif you have the extra cash.
Steve