Sign in with
Your question

New CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2007 12:44:57 AM

Ok, My question is this. I have been waiting for about a month for the Intel price cuts to come out and its finally about to happen. Now my question is this... should I buy the Quad 6600 for $266 or should I get the 6750 for the same cost? My board supports the P35 chipset so its not a problem with the 1333fsb but I am running pc6400 for memory. Would that matter at all? I am basically looking for the best performance possible for none gaming. Just using it for tons of multitasking.

More about : cpu

July 15, 2007 2:31:29 AM

either will work - most people are so hung up on cpu's they do not realize the hdd is the limiting issue. if using a single hard drive you might just get the same resultd for an oc x2 3600+
July 15, 2007 11:47:41 AM

Ya, I just bought a 500 gig SATA 3 WD drive so its not the top of speed chain by any means but I plan to add about 8 more of these in the future but the 750gig or 1-Terabytes. they will all be at the same speed though. I just cant seem to spend 300 on a drive that only has 160 gigs on it because it has super fast read and write times.
Related resources
July 15, 2007 12:09:49 PM

e6850 at 3ghz 1333fsb I believe will be the smae price as the Q6600, not the e6750.

Unless its recently changed.
July 15, 2007 12:56:56 PM

There is alot of hype about the quad cores being so great and maybe they are, but very few programs will utilize all 4 cores and 4 core use alot more power than 2. Quads are a waste of money if you're not going to use all of it's potential. However more and more programs are starting to utilize 2 cores, so maybe it's more with your money to get the dual core instead. 2 core will probably OC farther anyway because they don't produce as much heat. To give the quad core a little more credit I will have to admit that when a program does use all 4 cores the quads RULE. I guess it all depends on how long you intend on sticking with a peticular CPU. If it's gonna be more than 2 years I'd go for the quad. If you're only gonna keep it for a year I'd get the e6600 with the G0 stepping after July 22nd and OC the hell out of it. If you're like me and you're gonna keep it for about 2 years I'd get the e6750 and OC it after a while to keep up till Penryns are cheaper or till the next best thing comes out.
July 16, 2007 12:51:21 AM

Well I was going to keep it for a while with the choice of upgrading to a Penryn chip when they come out but I heard that Intel is going to make a new socket type when they come out to make the P35 pointless anyhow. Is this true?

If what you say is true then I will go with eh 1333 fsb E6750 or the 6850. Will the ram being at 6400 make a difference though if I get the 1333?
a c 99 à CPUs
July 16, 2007 1:00:50 AM

dragonsprayer said:
either will work - most people are so hung up on cpu's they do not realize the hdd is the limiting issue. if using a single hard drive you might just get the same resultd for an oc x2 3600+

If the rating function were still here, you'd have gotten five stars from me for that post. The hard drive is the single slowest device in the entire computer- even the average NIC is 30-50% faster than a single hard drive. I very highly recommend putting in a fast disk subsystem. I went from a 74 GB Raptor for the OS + a 250 GB 7200 rpm unit for data to a setup of a 74 GB Raptor for most of the OS, a 45 GB RAID 0 stripe across three 250 GB HDDs for temp and heavily-accessed but not critical OS stuff, and the rest of the 250 GB HDDs' space in a RAID 5 for data. The performance of my computer is *far* greater than it was before.
July 16, 2007 1:07:07 AM

mikeyp410 said:
Well I was going to keep it for a while with the choice of upgrading to a Penryn chip when they come out but I heard that Intel is going to make a new socket type when they come out to make the P35 pointless anyhow. Is this true?

Intel isn't switching sockets until they release Nehalem in 2008. Penryn should be drop-in compatible with the P35 unless Intel needs to tweak hardware like the VRMs, which I don't expect.
!