Sign in with
Your question

NIC's disappearing after installing XP SP2

Last response: in Windows XP
January 13, 2010 12:31:15 PM

Hi, Wondering if anyone has a solution for a problem I'm having with a pc I just built. Everything went perfectly until I went to install Windows XP Service Pack two. After the update and reboot, both of the Realtek onboard PCI-e NIC's disappeared from device manager, along with any connectivity. I restored the machine to before the update and tried it again with the same result. Restored again and installed SP1a and was able to keep the NIC's. Here are a few things I do know:

- ipconfig shows absolutely nothing
- BIOS says both nic's are working
- After 'show hidden devices' is checked, both's nic's appear in device manager as Miniports (I don't know what those are)

Anyone have a similar problem?
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 9:05:31 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Update the drivers of both NICs, reboot the PC and try again.
January 14, 2010 12:04:10 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried that with the same unfortunate result. Once windows restarts after the update, connectivity disappears.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
January 14, 2010 12:16:51 AM

Check also the power options, sometimes Win XP disable the NIC to save power.
January 14, 2010 12:38:17 PM

Thanks again. After the update, there were power options under nic properties (these weren't there prior). I unchecked "allow windows to turn this off to save power" and restarted. They disappeared again. I'm going to roll back and do some more troubleshooting between the update and the reboot (when everything is working). I do know that Microsoft offers a nic driver as an optional hardware update, but its much older than even the one that came with the mobo. Maybe I'll try using that one. The newest ones are definitely unsigned, if that actually makes a difference.
a b \ Driver
January 14, 2010 1:29:51 PM

^You can use unsigned drivers, but you need change the alerts about this drivers. Read THIS
!