Is there a 5th generation LG chip receiver on sale anywhere?

Is there a 5th generation LG chip receiver on sale anywhere?

IB
15 answers Last reply
More about generation chip receiver sale anywhere

    BOB answers BOB.

    Oh please, don't start that again. I live on the West Coast, not New
    York City or New Jersey! I just want a receiver. I am not in the
    business, and if the new LG chip works, I will me happy with our HDTV
    standard. Please do not start rumors.

    IB

    None work well enough for indoor reception in a city in most cases.
    They may be fine if you have an outdoor antenna. I don't. The tested
    numbers prove the point.

    IB

    inkyblacks@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Is there a 5th generation LG chip receiver on sale anywhere?
    >
    > IB

    Only in a couple of integrated LG HDTV sets. No stand alone units.

    Bob Miller

    inkyblacks@yahoo.com (inkyblacks@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > Oh please, don't start that again. I live on the West Coast, not New
    > York City or New Jersey! I just want a receiver. I am not in the
    > business, and if the new LG chip works, I will me happy with our HDTV
    > standard.

    Of course the "new LG chip" works. So do all the old ATSC receiver chips.
    I have 4 different ATSC receivers with 4 *different* chipsets from the
    very first (not just first generation, but first *chipset*) to what would
    be called "4th generation". All work fine.

    So, go out and buy a receiver and be happy.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Bob Miller wrote:
    > But the reality may be that LG is not using the full tuner board that

    > was in the prototype.

    No BOB, what LG did was to lay out all the parts that went into the
    prototype in a neat line and then selected every other part that was on
    the table. Those parts will be the new LG 5th gen production model. Of
    course this was done under the cloak of secrecy but with the full
    consent of the Korean government. I also understand that there were 4
    COFDM spies who were discovered on LG property during this process and
    were shot. I'm surprised you didn't hear about that!

    inkyblacks@yahoo.com wrote:
    > None work well enough for indoor reception in a city in most cases.
    > They may be fine if you have an outdoor antenna. I don't. The tested
    > numbers prove the point.
    >
    > IB

    The LG 5th generation prototype we tested last summer were miraculous
    compared to any other receiver I have tested.

    The latest LG 5th generation receiver, not made by LG, is a major
    disappointment.

    After thinking about it we feel that from statements by Hisense giving
    reasons for at first saying they would go with the LG 5th gen and then
    changing their mind, that there was more to the LG 5th gen prototype
    than just the 5th gen chip. It may be that the other components on the
    prototype tuner card were too expensive in Hisense and LG's thinking to
    actually make and sell the equal of the prototype as an STB.

    My question now is does LG use the all the components that were on the
    prototype tuner card in their advertised integrated HDTV sets that come
    with 5th generation receivers. Could be since the higher cost of the
    integrated sets lets them more easily bury the actual cost of the receiver.

    But the reality may be that LG is not using the full tuner board that
    was in the prototype.

    Having an LG 5th generation chip in an STB or an integrated HDTV is not
    enough to tell what its performance will be unfortunately.

    We are trying to get a receiver from our second company that will
    include the full LG 5th generation tuner card.

    Bob Miller

    inkyblacks@yahoo.com wrote:
    > None work well enough for indoor reception in a city in most cases.
    > They may be fine if you have an outdoor antenna. I don't. The tested
    > numbers prove the point.

    So you have tried a silver sensor or equivalent with an ATSC receiver
    and have convinced yourself that it can't be made to work because of
    measured multipath problems?

    Or are you believing bob for no good reason?

    --
    Matthew

    Which one do you want?

    inkyblacks@yahoo.com (inkyblacks@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > None work well enough for indoor reception in a city in most cases.

    That is correct, and a new chipset won't fix that. If you don't get
    enough signal, nothing helps, and walls with aluminum siding and metallized
    paper on insulation will block a *lot* of signal.

    --

    Bob Miller wrote:
    > But just for the heck of it and even though we had just lit our 100
    Watt
    > transmitter in Jersey the same day I plugged in the receiver, HiTop
    STB,
    > which includes its own screen and using my finger as an antenna
    touched
    > the end of the coax. Perfect reception that I could not lose.

    Isn't that amazing BOB? And here I can't get reliable XM RADIO
    reception whenever I'm in range of those "perfect reception" COFDM
    repeaters. Me smells a bullshit artist somehwere.

    inkyblacks@yahoo.com wrote:
    > None work well enough for indoor reception in a city in most cases.
    > They may be fine if you have an outdoor antenna. I don't. The tested
    > numbers prove the point.
    >
    > IB

    A good rule of thumb is if you can get a good UHF analog signal (better if
    the channel is near the DTV channel in question) you should be able to get
    DTV.

    I ignored this entirely and bought a Sylvania STB anyway. I live in Dover
    DE and have fuzzy analog UHF channels from Baltimore (56 miles) and Philly
    (64 miles) with an in-attic Rat Shack flying saucer aerial (so bad that VHF
    comes best at 90 degrees off aim). I get the following without question ...

    WMAR-52, WBAL-59, WJZ-38, MPT-42, WBBF-46

    and

    KYW-26, UPN-32, WCAU-67

    ....get a STB from Wal-Mart and try it out. If it doesn't work you can
    return it and know you tried.

    I already have a receiver built into my RPTV. I have to use two indoor
    antennas in parallel mated with an antenna amp to get signals, but I
    still get drop-outs and Fox is very unreliable. Sometimes I get good
    analogue signal but no usable digital signal for the same station.

    IB

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > inkyblacks@yahoo.com (inkyblacks@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >
    >>None work well enough for indoor reception in a city in most cases.
    >

    > That is correct, and a new chipset won't fix that. If you don't get
    > enough signal, nothing helps, and walls with aluminum siding and metallized
    > paper on insulation will block a *lot* of signal.

    Standing in the middle of the old AT&T building just below Canal St. in
    Manhattan some months ago with a COFDM receiver and coax but no antenna
    the manager asked if he could see how it worked. I told him it would not
    work on the fifth floor of this building in the middle of a forest of
    Internet, satellite and other assorted cages. Especially since this was
    a brick s***house if there ever was one with super thick bomb proof
    walls, 27 or so floors and just a big fat building.

    But just for the heck of it and even though we had just lit our 100 Watt
    transmitter in Jersey the same day I plugged in the receiver, HiTop STB,
    which includes its own screen and using my finger as an antenna touched
    the end of the coax. Perfect reception that I could not lose.

    A new modulation, any COFDM type, will fix that. What is blocking a lot
    of signal is the lousy 8-VSB receivers front ends and the faulty design
    of their chips.

    Bob Miller

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
    > A new modulation, any COFDM type, will fix that.

    Let's suppose, just for argument's sake, that as a nation we all take
    Psycho Bob Miller's advice. We abandon 8-VSB for COFDM, everybody has to
    dump their 8-VSB equipment in favor of COFDM.

    If Psycho Bob Miller's rosy predictions are true, than it is worth doing:
    perfect glorious HDTV reception everywhere in the country with just rabbit
    ears for an antenna. And Psycho Bob can get rich beaming tampon
    commercials to city buses.

    The question is, what do we do to Psycho Bob Miller to punish him, and to
    make the rest us whole when it turns out that none of his rosy predictions
    were true.

    Neither the death penalty, nor a lifetime of torture, be enough. There
    will still be the matter of billions lost following this pied piper.
    Psycho Bob doesn't have the assets to reimburse everyone.

    Nor will amending the constitution to eternally attaint him, and his
    descendents, in slavery to work off the debt.

    I am completely unable to think of any retribution that would be
    sufficient to make the experiment worth doing.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    Mark Crispin wrote:

    > The question is, what do we do to Psycho Bob Miller to punish him, and
    > to make the rest us whole when it turns out that none of his rosy
    > predictions were true.

    That's a fair question since bob has been wrong 100% of the time when he
    has posted predictions to usenet. That is a remarkable record. Even a
    blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

    --
    Matthew

    Which one do you want?

HDTV TV LG Chip Home Theatre