Help! I/O error when ripping dvd's in vista...

robx46

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I'm actually asking this for my brother. He lives 3 hours away and I was trying to help by phone, but anyhow I built him a vista computer and I also gave him my Lite-On 1633s burner. There was nothing wrong with the burner, in fact it was the best burner I ever had, only reason I upgraded was to use the sata ports with the new burners. I never had an issue.

While I installed Vista Ultimate for him, I don't use it yet myself. And I never did try to rip a DVD before shipping the system out.
But he just tried to rip a perfectly legal dvd that he owns and is getting I/O errors. He was using DVD Shrink. I told him to try imgburn (formerly dvd decryptor) and he also had I/O errors on that! So if the same thing happens with two different programs, the problem must be elsewhere. He has the newest versions of both, I also told him to try the "run as administrator thing" and "xp compatibility mode". Neither worked.

I checked to see if there was a newer firmware from Lite-on or some other update, and there isn't anything newer listed.

What the heck is going on? Why these I/O errors when trying to rip a retail dvd? Btw, he can rip his retail cd's just fine, which makes me more confused. The problem is with DVD's. Since he can't get one ripped to his hard drive, I don't even know if he is able to burn them either.

Is there any kind of known issue with vista or lite-on drives that can explain this? I did a good search but didn't find anything that helped. So it seems some people with lite-on drives have no problem at all.
Help!
My own brother is probably thinking I ripped him off and gave him a bad drive, but I know for sure that it is in great shape.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
though im not positive (since i havent tried to do anything with dvds in vista myself yet), it 'could' possibly be vistas drm restriction being the problem... all i can suggest, is that he try a different OS to experiment with, a freely available OS that he could at least attempt to burn with is ubuntu 7.04, that way he can see that the I/O errors arent due to the optical drive, but possibly due to vista itself maybe. has he tried playing the dvds in vista yet, aside from just attempting to rip them?